Cin Help Needed!

Started by
2 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I've been focusing on school work for the past week or two, so i havent been able to program for the past week or so. I started making this little program, just to get a little practice, and it doesnt seem to work right. It takes the first letter off every input the user enters, which throws off everything. Any help is appreciated.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// ASK FOR CUSTOMERS NAME 
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

string custOrder;
	string custName;
	string custId;

cout << "\t\tHello, What is your Name? ";
			cin.ignore();
				getline(cin,custName);

system("CLS");

// ASKS HOW MUCH GAS THEIR SPACECRAFT NEEDS AND FOR ID

cout << "Would you like a Full Tank for your Space Cruiser X, " << custName << "? ";
			cin.ignore();
				getline(cin,custOrder);

// KEY TESTING
	if(custOrder[0] == 'y')
		cout << "1\n\n";
			if(custOrder[0] != 'y')
				cout << "0\n\n";

cout << "\n\nDo you Have your Space ID? ";

if(custId[0] == 'y')
		cout << "\n\nOk, your car will be ready in 1 sec.\nThanks for Choosing Sapce Filler!\n\n";
			if(custId[0] != 'y')
				cout << "\n\nSorry, I cannot help you then, its store Policy.\n\n";

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// EXIT
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
	system("PAUSE");
	return 0;
Advertisement
ignore() tells the program to ignore a character of input. So, you're basically telling the program to ignore a character of input and then get the rest of what the user input.

So, get rid of the ignore(). You probably won't need it at all because getline grabs the newline as well.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Thanks man, worked out nicely [smile]
Also note that you haven't actually read in to custId.

And what on earth has happened with your indentation? o_O

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement