• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Say no to DX!

This topic is 6208 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m an NT user. Because Microsoft is a bunch of slackers DirectX 3 is the latest version! I am trying to create a game that does not use DX. if you could point me in the right direction (tutorials, sites, game''s sorce code, etc.) it would be more than welcome. Thankyou.

Advertisement
you stupid little fool. Dx 3 is definitley not the latest version. If you knew anything you would know of other routes or API''s to use instead of DirectX. Im not going to help you, because you obviously have no clue of what you are talking about.

NT is about 400 years old. Upgrade to Win2000 and you can use DirectX just fine.

sorry about over reacting there. I dont like newbies coming on all the time stating stupid things and not giving any description of what they are talking about. I suggest you use OpenGL or you get a different OS

quote:

GDI

ehehehhe

DirectX5 is available on NT4, I beleive SP4 included it 2 years ago. I played several Dx5 games on NT4, including EQ, with little problems. Most of the issues are crappy Dx drivers for NT4.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned

Microsoft is a bunch of slackers! DirectX 8 games won''t run in DOS!!

You can''t update DX versions in NT; that''s the nature of the OS. DX3 is integrated into it. So why would you expect it to be able to be compatible with developments that occurred after its creation? So you say MS is made of slackers because it did not create NT such that DX is seperate and upgradable? Why should it be? It''s a BUSINESS OS, and needs speed more than upgradability, especially upgradability of what is primarily a GAMING API. In addition, businesses don''t like software upgrades. That''s part of the reason NT is designed as it is. As for 3d-accelerated business apps; they''re designed for NT and work with OpenGL and/or DX3, so that''s a nonissue.

You may have no choice other than to use NT as a gaming platform, but you should be aware that that''s not what it''s designed to be, so you shouldn''t expect it to behave like one. And you certainly shouldn''t complain because something designed to do one thing doesn''t do another thing.

I think GaMe wIg gave a perfectly acceptable description, I don''t quite see how you could get so irate about that tryforfulluse, and then slag him off.

I am an NT 4 user too, I know it doesn''t support a DX version later than 3, I still use it for development, as I know many others have in the past.

What I do know is that you can very happily install and develop with the DirectX8 SDK.

This is what I do, then I boot into Win98 on a second partition and test stuff out.

It''s quite a simple setup, yet it is cumbersome.
I did it because I got sick of 98 crashing developer studio, I expect to upgrade to win2k soon, when I get the cash together.

-Mezz

Funny though.. what if you wanted to run a DPlay game server on Windows NT?
Sure, it''s a tiny percentage of the market, but it''s still pretty inconsequent.

cu,
Prefect

---
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.

Funny though.. what if you wanted to run a DPlay game server on Windows NT?
Sure, the people who do this make up a tiny percentage of the total market for WinNT, but still

cu,
Prefect

---
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.

You could check out SDL at www.libsdl.org. It''s a cross-platform API to handle the kind of stuff DX does, except for 3D (which is provided by OpenGL integration).

• Advertisement