Sign in to follow this  
zny

i do not know is this can post here. A ddraw Problem

hi guys, i want use ddraw load a bmp, i know i can use loadimage(), but for some special reason, i must write my own function to load bmp files, how can i do it?

To load .bmps you need to know the structure of the file. A quick googling gave me this:
Windows BMP Bitmap File Format.

Once you know the structure of the file, you just read the raw data of a .bmp and extract the information using the .bmp file template.

As for your subject - this is the correct place to be asking DirectX/DirectDraw questions. You might want to choose a better subject though - "How to load bitmaps with DirectDraw".

May I ask why you want to use DirectDraw? - its not been updated since the last century and is well and truly deprecated [lol]

Consequently you'll find good/reliable information and examples hard to find. Even asking on public forums is ceasing to be such a good idea - its been many years since I've done any DD coding, and I'd imagine the same is true for many other people...

hth
Jack

You're right that DD is deprecated but IMO it's one of the simplest (yet powerful) APIs you can use.

It's easy to use, fast and efficient and supports everything you need in terms of 2D. I think DD is one of the best things that ever came out of Microsoft.

In general I think DirectX is one of their best products, even though it's free. This is one place where they don't slack.