Sign in to follow this  
Brash Benson

Where's a newbie to go next?

So I'm technically a newbie (on this board, and programming in general), but not quite. I've made simple games in Macromedia Director, which is very similar to C++, I've made applications in PHP (again, simlar but not as much as Director), and I've been reading up on C++ for the last few weeks. I know universal programming concepts like variables, operators, loops, if statements, arrays, etc. I have little experience with structures, pointers, and classes however. Basically, I'm advanced enough to where the beginner type stuff is all old-hat for me, but I'm not quite to the point where I can start making games. I'm getting sick of text games, but I realize that they are an important part of the learning process. Are there any references or tutorials I could read up on that are aimed at the level I'm at? I'm sorry if I'm not completely clear on my level of experience. Basically, I think this is what I'm looking for: Tutorials on pointers, structures, and/or classes that are aimed at game design (for C++). I'm also very interested in basic concepts behind incorporating graphics into a game (I think I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a spoon if I have to write one more text game!) On a more positive note, Hi, I'm new here. Be gentle.

I highly recommend starting at gameinstitute.com it is very affordable, and I've learned more from there than I have from college. They are also holding a C++ programming workshop here starting June 1st you should read the first post in this forum.

Hope this helps
Adam

Hang in there, I know how hard it is to try and learn everything at once. Take it a step at a time, and before you know it you will be rendering 3D graphics using DirectX.