Frustration with Compilers

Started by
3 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 10 months ago
I have been programming in C++ for more than two years and i have NEVER been so frustrated. I can never seem to be able to get compilers to do what I want. I mean, my code works, but I always get errors like "can't find this directory" or can't find that directory and I put that file in 10000 different places so there's no way it can't find it. I do #include <stdio.h> and that works, so i put the file in the same folder that stdio.h is and that STILL doesn't work. HOW THE HELL to compilers work? (thats retorical) I have been using Dev C++ and that has been giving me trouble for two years, and a couple weeks ago i downloaded VS 2005 Express, and that annoyed me even more. I know I sound steeming hot, but could someone please help me with my compiler problems? My AIM sn is gamer12121 and msn is lubanfamily@sbcglobal.net . Any help would be great. Normally, I would ask a question here, but I'd just be posting back and forth like forever and nothing would ever get accomplished. Thanks.
Mitchen Games
Advertisement
Try "#include <cstdio>".

It may be that the compiler only accepts the latter, like with "cmath" and "math.h".
VS2005 has a option under : tools -> options -> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ dirs
You can directly specify any common includes you have there ( like boost, or ODE ).
If you are having issues with files not found in VS2005, did you install the platform SDK?
VS2005 express is supposed to be more "express". It drops a lot of base stuff from the download, and you have
to download what you need seperatly.
What I suggest you is just learn c++. No just kiddin. In fact, you should pick one and only one compiler and stick with it no matter what trouble you get through. Don't change compiler as a workaround, there's always a way that things are suppose to work, so figure it out, and in the end you'll master your tool just as any craftsman should.

I used to experience the same frustrations as you when I spent more time configuring the IDE than actually writing. Like two days ago I spent hours to understand how to configure a project on VC++ Express that could use SDL. I could have switched to Dev C++ for that matter because I knew how to do with it, but rather than that I kept trying and configuring VC++. And guess what ^^ I eventually got it working, and I learned a couple of things about VC++ Ex. And now the same problem is not gonna happen again cuz i'd know how to fix it in a minute.

So in a word, pick one compiler and master it till it has no secret for you (well if that is even possible ^^)

Now, if you want to PM me about VS Express, maybe I can help you. But I dont use AIM.
Those are IDEs, not compilers. The IDE is supposed to handle the responsibility for you of telling the compiler which files should be involved in compilation (among other things). If you find it difficult to "talk to" the IDE, you might want to try the command line interface for your compiler.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement