• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GL_aLpHa

OpenGL OpenGL/Game Programming Reference

This topic is 4500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I am at yet another reference issue. I'm trying to get a good solid book collection that is both up-to-date and teaches a good style and good programming paradigm. I have already decided on getting C++ Primer Plus: 5th Edition. Now I need an OpenGL/Game Programming reference, or an OpenGL reference and an OpenGL/Game Programming Reference. I get confused on what is really out of date code. For instance, I thought GLUT was good to use, but realized that it was getting out dated. Then people say that Win32 API is good but not for cross-platform. So, this leaves it difficult to find the above references. Got any ideas? I have Prima Tech's OpenGL Game Programming but after reading the book reviews, I don't want to be taught the wrong things in OGL. Was considering Beginning OpenGL Game Programming But, I know that gamedev is the place to get insight from the pros...so if anybody can provide information or book references. That would be great!

Advertisement
I read Prima Tech's OpenGL Game Programming and it tought me most things about OpenGL I needed to be able to write my own apps, but they focus on Win32...

I don't think they teach wrong things, but they just don't really go into detail and they don't program very object oriented (or better: no oop at OpenGL stuff, only for math), but you'll have a good basis after that

Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is an excellent book that I can whole-hartedly recomend.

It has very very little Win32 code, so it should be rather simple to implement the examples in your favorite platform.

BTW, SDL is an absolutely superb alternative to GLUT and Win32.

Alright, I'll prolly go ahead and get the Beginning OpenGL Programming book, then later get the More OpenGL Programming Book. Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!