direct play link error

Started by
0 comments, last by Staffan E 17 years, 11 months ago
I was using microsoft visual studio.net 2003 to write a directplay program, I did not find the dplay.lib file in the lib path, so I used the one in visual studio 6. at first, there was a link error: error LNK2019: unsolved @_RTC_CheckStackVars@8 after I set the RTC option to default, the error became: error LNK2001: unsolved _CLSID_DirectPlay8Client what sould i do next?
Advertisement
The file dplay.lib that came with VS6 most likely is quite old and does not implement the DX8 stuff at all. The thing is that from DX9 and forward DirectPlay is deprecated as is explained in the SDK docs.
Quote:From the DirectX 9c (April 06) SDK docs
DirectPlay is deprecated, and Microsoft strongly recommends against using it to develop new applications. Game developers should use Windows Sockets (see Windows Sockets) and the Windows Firewall APIs (see Games and Firewalls).

This may well be the reason why dplay.lib is not supplied anymore. If you're developing some releaseable application you should stay away from DPlay.

However, as for your actual problem, I did scan my disk for alternative lib files and came up with one named dplayx.lib that came along with the DX9 December 05 SDK (my latest install). You could check if you have one alike and if so try linking with that one. See if that gets you any further.
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement