• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mifrim

OpenGL General sized Matrix Multiply in OpenGL

This topic is 4505 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I am trying to find the simplest possible way to multiply 2 general-sized matrices by exclusively using a GPU (video card) and avoiding CPU loading as much as possible. Can somebody please give me some ideas/algorithm description/function description about how this can be done in the simplest possible manner? Thank you very, very much!

Advertisement
I don't know general processing on GPU very well, but I think that you could put your values in a couple of textures and then multiplying them on the gpu. The resulting values are stored on the currently bound frame buffer, that can then be read from your app.
This way you could multiply matrices sized up to 4096*4096 (I think that this is the current limit for texture sizes, but I could be wrong). Is this size enaugh for you ;-)?

Try this site. Perhaps you can find something useful.

I guess you have got floating point data for your matrices, so you need to use floating point textures.

I dunno if you can render to 4096x4096 sized textures via render to texture extensions but you probably need to set the correct texture filtering options so the values don t get interpolated and filtered in any way

Quote:

but you probably need to set the correct texture filtering options so the values don t get interpolated and filtered in any way

That's for sure :-)
In the meantime, here is the resulting page of the search utility of gpgpu.org for the "matrix multiplication" query:
click here

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!