Voodoo 3 Detail Mapping

Started by
1 comment, last by zerwit 23 years, 2 months ago
I am try to add detail mapping to my terrain engine in direct3d and am having a problem. I have a voodoo 3 2000 and it says that it supports using modulate2x. But when I use that in the second texture stage, it acts just like modulate. Everything gets darkened because it is never multiplied by 2. This is a big problem because I can''t use addsigned to do detail mapping and the only other choice to multipass, which would majorly slow down my engine. Has anyone else had a problem like this, or do you know of any other ways to do detail mapping? By the way does anybody know why the voodoo3 box says it has full bumpmapping support, but actually has none whatsoever? *** Triality ***
*** Triality ***
Advertisement
V3 does bump-mapping in Glide only I think. I think, if I remember correct, that even my old V2 claimed it could do bump-mapping

I also get multi-texturing problems with the V3. Multi-texturing works flawlessly on my GF2, but when I ran the same program on my V3 in my other machine, I got only 1 texture displayed. I did eventually get both textures displayed by exerimenting. I dunno about modulate2x in particular though.

I think it''s a good idea to have something better than a V3 if you''re going to program D3D. You can pick up a GF2 MX or even a TNT2 pretty cheap now.
ild be VERY surprised if the voodoo3 does bumpmapping in hardware.
any card can display bumpmapping in software check my site for a demo (not the emboss one)

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement