Isometric style 3D engine in DirectX 8

Started by
1 comment, last by Cheezy 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi! This might be a long post, so I''ll just get started: The Task: To create an engine capable of displaying outdoor and indoor tile-based maps for a role playing game. These maps are to feature real 3D objects on top of a basically 2D playing field (but I might start putting heights in later if I dare) The solution: Draw a fixed number of tiles each frame from the 2D map. (All tiles are the same size, so this will basically consist of a list of different textures ) Before drawing, sort all tiles by texture. Cram all the tile vertex data into a single Vertex Buffer. Call DrawIndexedPrimitive(...) once for each texture group, changing render state between groups, and render all the tiles as tile lists. Determine which 3D objects (such as buildings) are visible using a quadtreee type culling algorithm based on the current viewpoint. Render these objects (using different VBs). END; (so far) I know this isn''t finished, but its a start. Any suggestions, queries, improvements, or anything you might see wrong with this system, please let me know!!! I just want a second opinion I guess! Cheezy.
Advertisement
I don't know exactly what u want to do (what is thi quadtree stuff?), but maybe my samples are interesting for you.

Edited by - Jonus on February 13, 2001 6:21:55 PM
Thanks for the links, I downloaded a couple, but I haven''t had a chance to look at them yet. They may or may not be of help.

Er, a Quadtree is where you split the map into four chunks, and then split those four into four more, and so on. Hence ''Quad''. You can then use this for discarding invisible areas of your map quickly. You can find some good tutorials on it if you search around. I''d give you a link, but I seem to have lost them all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement