X-File Plugin for 3ds max7

Started by
7 comments, last by dark_vision 17 years, 10 months ago
I'm looking for the x-file max-plugin that was always included with the directx sdk. But the february06 sdk doesn't include it anymore. Does anyone of you know where I can download it for 3ds max7? thanks
Advertisement
http://www.andytather.co.uk/Panda/directxmax_downloads.aspx

try this, i find it alot more powerfull
http://stowelly.co.uk/
I'm using the panda exporter at the moment, but as the name says it can only export and I need an importer, too.
You shouldn't find a 3rd party download site for SDK components - its against the EULA to redistribute individual parts.

Feb '06 does include the 3DSMax plugin - \Utilities\Source\Max\, is it no longer compatible with Max7 then?

You could try downloading an earlier SDK - December '05 should still be up for download.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

It's still compatible with version 7. I don't think it does importing (did it ever?) but I'm not sure.

The Panda exporter is not the same as the SDK exporter -- it's a separate exporter, maintained by an individual, and honestly, it's at least as good as, if not better than, the SDK one.

It's especially sad that the SDK exporter disabled exporting skinned meshes...
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
there's one at maxplugin.de on page 8 it imports x files and export them
Bring more Pain
there's one at maxplugin.de on page 8 it imports x files and export them
Bring more Pain
Oh I never looked into the src folder only ino the bin folder. Thanks and thanks for the link.

I want the sdk plugin only because the panda plugin is only able to export and I want to import x files too.
The SDK exporter doesn't import, that's up to the programmer, you must parse the X file and create your own meshes. I know there are some web pages that cover this topic, but I don't remember any right know. Books like Advanced Animation with DirectX cover this topic, as well as the popular Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX (written by Jim Adams if I remember correctly).

I hope that can lead you in the right direction,

James.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement