• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

WindowsXP doesn't like OpenGL

This topic is 4259 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I seem to have a lot of problems with OpenGL on my WinXP system, in particular, I install a piece of software, and it runs fine. I turn off the computer, and when I come back to it and try to run the program again (yes, I do make sure I've turned the computer back on first) it tells me that such-and-such " is not a valid Win32 application". Has anyone else come across this, and if so, do you know of any way to remedy it? I don't want to have to reinstall programs every time I want to run them

Advertisement
Can you give some example code or application? I definitely want to check that error thingy out, because I've never had that :-)

Try some of NeHe's code,in particular his OOP basecode, or for a full (non-sorce) program example, try Glest

While I do not have enough information to explain your specific problem, it is relatively well known that Windows is not as friendly towards OpenGL as it is DirectX. However, most OGL problems in windows are the result of a coding error and not windows being evil.

Sounds to me like he is saying that he installs a program and it works. Then he restarts his computer. When he tries to run that same program again all of a sudden it gives the error, "This is not a valid win32 program". If that really is the case then I'd start with a virus scan.

Thanks Ithir, that's exactly what I meant. Thing is, I've had this problem on our other Computer(also running WinXP), but at the same time as they were running fine on my old Win98. I'm going through a deep scan with my AntiVirus software now, though

Only time I've seen that error is when files corrupt mainly due to virus or if you trying to run an exe built under windows64 on win32.

OK, no virii found, I'm using the 32bit version of WinXP, and I still don't have a clue... any other suggestions?

Did you install the latest video card drivers?

What GPU is it?

This has nothing to do with XP. Subjectively to you it does. But subjectively to me XP + OpenGL works perfectly. Therefore we are both right, equally.

Think lower-level perhaps. Drivers, etc. Library files like GLUT, SDL, etc. Are they new?

I'm not using GLUT, nor SDL, and the version of OGL I'm using is whatever one comes with the latest MinGW package

My card is GeForce6600, I haven't checked to see if there are any updated drivers yet

Nope, none of them are. I don't know what I'm doing differently(bar doing a one-man job...)

It doesn't sound like a code error to me. Perhaps the files do not have an .exe extension? (To check this, you have to turn off hiding of known extensions). If that is not it, maybe your registry got borked.

Note that even if all Anti-Virus software in your local store is run on your computer, and nothing is found, you still can't say for sure that there's no malicous code present on the system.

I always have file extensions showing, and they're definitely .exes.

I doubt my registry is "borked" because, I had this problem before doing a full system format and reinstall a couple of months back, so Id have had three borked registries (including the other computer I have this trouble with). I reckon that's unlikely, but I may be proved wrong

what's the software that you are installing? did you write it or is it a commercial app?

-me

@Palidine - I get the impression it's NeHe code.

This is definately a weird problem. Are you using Win32 to create the window or some other API? Do you have all the correct .dlls in the same folder as the .exe (though I would expect this to give an error the first time, too)?

And, does the program run multiple times correctly before restarting the computer? Are you running the .exe from the compiler or from the folder?

Oh, and you can test my program if you want to. It's made with OpenGL. (note: the version I just uploaded has bugs and will sometimes crash, but will not hurt you computer)

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez

Heh, i was actually getting the impression that it was a counter-strike: source hack that was being disabled by punkbuster or the new valve anti-cheat system. =)

-me

Quote:
Original post by Palidine
Quote:
Original post by Ezbez

Heh, i was actually getting the impression that it was a counter-strike: source hack that was being disabled by punkbuster or the new valve anti-cheat system. =)

-me

Huh? Well, he did state that we should "Try some of NeHe's code,in particular his OOP basecode."

Thanks Ezbez, I'll test out your prog now,and yeah, I can run the programs multiple times before I restart my computer

Edit: Ezbez? I cant seem to access your link. CAn you email me a Zip or Rar?

Just an update to say that it seems my computer doesn't like DirectX either. I'm working my way through "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0", and that program doesn't work either. All it did in the first place was create a blank Direct3D window.

I tried building that with Visual C++ 6.0, in case WinXP doesn't like Code::Blocks and MinGW, and I got the exact same problem as with my OpenGL programs

Nope, Hardware Accelleration is fully enabled.

on a side note, how would disabled HA cause this problem anyway?

Can you tell exactly what happens after you freshly downloaded and ran lets say Nehe's lesson04?
From your original post it sounds alot like a virus problem. But from your last it could also be a hardware problem.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement