WindowsXP doesn't like OpenGL

Started by
30 comments, last by webwraith 17 years, 9 months ago
I seem to have a lot of problems with OpenGL on my WinXP system, in particular, I install a piece of software, and it runs fine. I turn off the computer, and when I come back to it and try to run the program again (yes, I do make sure I've turned the computer back on first) it tells me that such-and-such " is not a valid Win32 application". Has anyone else come across this, and if so, do you know of any way to remedy it? I don't want to have to reinstall programs every time I want to run them
Advertisement
Can you give some example code or application? I definitely want to check that error thingy out, because I've never had that :-)
------------Something useful could be written here...
Try some of NeHe's code,in particular his OOP basecode, or for a full (non-sorce) program example, try Glest
While I do not have enough information to explain your specific problem, it is relatively well known that Windows is not as friendly towards OpenGL as it is DirectX. However, most OGL problems in windows are the result of a coding error and not windows being evil.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Sounds to me like he is saying that he installs a program and it works. Then he restarts his computer. When he tries to run that same program again all of a sudden it gives the error, "This is not a valid win32 program". If that really is the case then I'd start with a virus scan.
Thanks Ithir, that's exactly what I meant. Thing is, I've had this problem on our other Computer(also running WinXP), but at the same time as they were running fine on my old Win98. I'm going through a deep scan with my AntiVirus software now, though
Only time I've seen that error is when files corrupt mainly due to virus or if you trying to run an exe built under windows64 on win32.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
OK, no virii found, I'm using the 32bit version of WinXP, and I still don't have a clue... any other suggestions?
Did you install the latest video card drivers?

What GPU is it?

This has nothing to do with XP. Subjectively to you it does. But subjectively to me XP + OpenGL works perfectly. Therefore we are both right, equally.

Think lower-level perhaps. Drivers, etc. Library files like GLUT, SDL, etc. Are they new?
I'm not using GLUT, nor SDL, and the version of OGL I'm using is whatever one comes with the latest MinGW package

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement