• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kitasia

At the end of my rope with Ogg Vorbis and OpenAL

This topic is 4500 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been at this a while now and I've yet to sucessfully play an ogg file. I've even compiled some of the example code and still nothing (http://www.devmaster.net/articles/openal-tutorials/lesson8.php). I'm not sure if I setup the SDK wrong or what the problem is. What I did was download the libraries at vorbis.com and compile them. All of them would compile but the vorbis one. So, I went to rarewares.org and got the dlls from there. I put all the compiled libs in a folder that I could reach with msvc 2005. Seemed how to do things but I've yet to see anything work! I suppose OpenAL could be the problem but wavs works fine. Does anyone have a explanation or better yet, an easier way to do this? It seems to be so simple and it's giving me a headache that I'm having so much trouble out of it. Thanks!

Advertisement
Unless you are putting serious thought into actually selling your product, I'd recommend using either BASS or FMOD. Using middleware is amazing as it lets you create content rather then base drivers.

I'm using openAl 1.1 and the only site I know to get the ogg sdk is (http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Ogg_Vorbis_Win32_SDK/992626373/1).

I haven't really considered an alternative to music but I'm pretty sure I'm just having more trouble than I should be.

UPDATE: I just tried using SDL Mixer (1.2.7) and the funny thing is I can't play ogg files! Which is odd because it worked fine back when I used (1.2.6). Am I missing something 9_9?

[Edited by - AntiGuy on May 29, 2006 6:41:14 AM]

I get Vorbis from here. Never heard of the URL you posted before.

I'm not 100% sure what version I have right now as I'm not at the PC with it on it. But I doubt you'll have issues with this. If you still cannot get it to work after compiling and linking in this library (the one I linked too) then post your code and we'll try and figure it out for you. Might be how you're using it?

Yup xiph.org is the "official" ogg-vorbis SDK that I know of.

The only "gotcha" when using them is to make sure you match the build of the ogg-vorbis DLL's to the build of your game.

Meaning if you're game is using the multithreaded DLL runtime, then make sure you're also using the multithreaded DLL versions of ogg-vorbis.

It's one of those things that sounds like a no-brainer, but sneaks up and bites you if you're not careful.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!