• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
toye

Starting Development!

This topic is 4551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! Im fairly new to the game developing world. I have been playing video games since I was about 2 years old and am 16 years old now. Im trying to prepare myself for a furutre career in game development and what not. I have had lots of experiance with consoles ect. Iv played around with flash on and off for the past 2-3 years, have funbles around with some Java and what not and now im trying to expand all this. I have read some tutorials on this site and I have decided the best first step would to maybe try and make a tetris game? I dont know if that would be the best choice but it sounds like a good start. Id like to ask you guys for your oppinion, and your help. If there is any links and what not that you can give me or suggestions of where to start that would be great. I would really appreciate all the help I can get right now! Thanks

Advertisement
sorry for double threading! Computer went nuts on me, could a mod please delete this thread?

Go into the other one, edit it, and select the Delete this post? check box. Thing will disappear.

Anyways,

Welcome! Sounds like you'd want to make this a profession? There are different ways to go about making a game. First off, you're going to need to program it. You do this with a programming language. Be fresh on math and logic concepts btw. If that's the case, I'd go for a hard-core game programming language such as C++. If you just want to relax and do it for fun, then C# or a high leve game engine would be your thing. Next, you're going to need some kind of graphics. Either recruit someone, hire someone, or do it yourself. You'll need a basic 2d art program such as the Gimp or Photoshop, maybe Paintshop Pro? Later you'll need 3d tools, such as Milkshape 3d, Maya, 3d Studio Max, etc... But I think you realize your potential, and are shooting for something low. That's good, respected, and a good goal. Maybe go a little lower, for while learning the language, but once you've learned it try it. I'd also recommend the SDL API, which will draw things on the screen. www.SDL.org Chao!

[Edited by - dbzprogrammer on May 28, 2006 8:24:04 PM]

hey thanks for all the advice. Ya Id like to start out with something basic and just have some fun with this for now. I didnt really understand what you ment by basic math and logic concepts? haha anywho0o0o are there any tutorials or sites you would suggest for me to get started? Thanks for help dudes!

While you're still doing basic things, such as tetris, you're going to need have a good knowledge of Algebra, and Geometry would be very helpful also. Logic is boolean logic: "if true, then do this, if not true, then do that." You'll find as you learn a language how this applies. Programming is no pretty topic, it can become EXTREAMLY difficult at times, that's why it pays a lot. Personally, I'd start of with C or something, it's low level and easy to understand. If you want to go C++, here's your link. I recommend you google for some C# tutorials, as I don't know too much about it. One I found. Another useful one. C# is Windows only, and the Visual C# Compiler (what you program with) is only distributed by Microsoft. Here's the link.

As a relatively experienced programmer/animator (C/C++, Java, Flash) i would strongly (STRONGLY) suggest that you use C++. There are numerous free compilers available (I would suggest Dev-Cpp). Also, I suggest using OpenGL for graphics and OpenAL for audio (they are very easy to use, and also very easy to learn).

I, for one, wouldnt use Java as the language itself can be rather unruly (sorry about spelling) when it comes to large codebases (although it is still the best for a web-based application seeing as that was what it was designed for). C#, for all intensive purposes, is java (as a couple of SUN Microsystems vs. Microsoft lawsuits can attest).

Quote:
Original post by medevilenemy
As a relatively experienced programmer/animator (C/C++, Java, Flash) i would strongly (STRONGLY) suggest that you use C++. There are numerous free compilers available (I would suggest Dev-Cpp). Also, I suggest using OpenGL for graphics and OpenAL for audio (they are very easy to use, and also very easy to learn).

I, for one, wouldnt use Java as the language itself can be rather unruly (sorry about spelling) when it comes to large codebases (although it is still the best for a web-based application seeing as that was what it was designed for). C#, for all intensive purposes, is java (as a couple of SUN Microsystems vs. Microsoft lawsuits can attest).

I'd agree, except C++ is a HARD language to understand. If your moving from a language to it, it'll only take a couple months, but for some people it'll take a lot longer to be able to make anything. C# is higher level, it drops the whole memory management idea, and is easier for someone new to learn. Personally, as I said before, I'd use C. It's easy, it's not too far from understand C++ easier, it's universal, and it fits what you're trying to do.

Im not too too familiar with Java, i'v played around with it here or there. Im thinking maybe I should do a little Qbasic? I dunno. I'v also fooled around with batch scripting and what not. Im waiting to start my C# untill tomorrow because the Microsoft Compiler or whatever needs Service Pack 2 Installed and I dont have that yet, Being on dial up it will take me the whole night to download it. I dunno more suggestions and comments would be appreciated, thanks!

P.S: Pardon the bad spelling ;)

Some comments: C# is not only for Windows. .net is Windows only but the programs written in C# are platform independent as long as a .net equivalent is installed.
Can't remember what the name is for the Linux/Mac equivalents, though.

And Dev-C++ is not a compiler. It is an IDE.
I too like it a lot. I think Dev-C++ with SDL is a good combination for first steps.

But switching from Java can be hard ... especially because there are so many things one didn't need to worry about.
The Win32 Api stuff, deleting stuff properly, pointers, ...

For a future career it is probably a good idea to learn it though.
Maybe search for SDL tutorials and read the language tutorial at www.cplusplus.com.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!