• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
magneeto

simulation of aging effect of human faces

This topic is 4528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i'm interested in simulating aging effect of human faces on images. i've read some online papers that proposed methods(not that i understood all of them). how do i start from scratch? magneeto

Advertisement
Start by rendering without aging... after that get pictures of people at different ages (Each person with a couple pictures at different ages). Then try to reproduce the effect of age on your models.

From scratch that would be about all I could tell you since you have to do all the work :P. Otherwise I would tell you to look at other papers to see what they are doing... in other words to get a global idea of what to aim for and then try to do it on your own ways.

If you want to implement it from what you see in papers... start the same way, by rendering without aging and then add the aging (probably through shaders so you should do the skining and texturing in the shaders too). The papers will tell you the algorithms/math that needs to be implemented to reproduce the effect like they did.

jff_f,

could u give me some search keywords so that i can start the initial rendering. i want to do the simulation (all the implementation) in openGL. i've read some papers which say all about the theory but i need some source to start with. thank u.

magneeto

The first idea that comes to my mind is to first skin the whole model of the face(i.e. IK). The aging , simplyfied, is nothing else just stretching the skin(now in the human type of meaning :) ), adding some wrinkles and possibly some spots as well(and/or enlarging the already existing spots). Of course, not to forget the hair, it should get greyis. To get a realistic effect you should also somehow change the expression of eyes.
I think that this is quite simulatable thing.

are you asking how to draw age effects (in blender or 3ds or such) or how to procedually program them?
I cant help you with neither, only point you to a nice program to play with and maybe gain insights:

A company called Singular Inversions (which is an algerbric oxymoron btw) made 5 years ago an awesome product - procedually generated human face (too bad the product didnt advance much since).
you can download their demo program (no saving of the mesh) and play with the different parameters - including complex parameters such as Age, race, feeling, etc...

you can move the scroll bars and morph from happy young Asian to angry old African [smile]

@Prototype: thanks fixed now...

Iftah.

[Edited by - Iftah on June 4, 2006 11:59:32 AM]

Quote:
Original post by MePHyst0
I really apologize for posting so much copies of the same post, however the connection here or the servers were unstable so I accidentally hit the "Reply" button many times. In the same time I would like to ask the Admin to delete the redundant posts.

Thank you for your comprehension

You can delete your posts by clicking the edit button and choosing delete from there.

@iftah: your link is borked, you should put 'http://' in front of it or it will link inside the GameDev site.

There are numerous face/skin rendering techniques documented. None of them specifically about the effect of aging but I'm sure they could be used as a starting point.

http://www.ati.com/developer/siggraph04/Sander_SkinSketch.pdf
http://www.ati.com/developer/gdc/Gosselin_skin.pdf
http://www.awprofessional.com/content/images/0321228324/samplechapter/fernando_ch03.pdf

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!