• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[c++] representing shapes using 2D arrays

This topic is 4289 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I'm just wondering, are there any efficient, general ways to store shapes (mainly circles) using 2D char arrays? Sorry for the bad explanation, for example if I wanted to store a 'circle' of radius 2 (2 bytes), the 2d array (4 by 4 bytes) should look like: 0, 1, 1, 0 1, 1, 1, 1 1, 1, 1, 1 0, 1, 1, 0 What I'm looking for is a way to automatically generate the above 2d array for a 'circle' of any radius, so my function prototype would look something like: void genCircle(int radius, char circle[][MAX_SIZE]); and after the function is finished circle array will be filled with bytes set to 1 accordingly. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement
The hard part is calculating the positions of the points within the bounds of an array... that is, in order to get an acurate circle you would need to calculate the positions of of it's points (there are a great many ways to do this.... that isnt the issue). But this operation would risk an out-of-bounds error if not properly written (not to mention the fact that it would be rather slow).

Might I ask why you need this sort of routine? perhaps there is a better way to accomplish the same goal without the old style bitmap generation (perhaps using an actual bitmap file, perhaps).

<note to self: wow, i just noticed -- i really have to do something about my user rating :-) >

So, if you have a 4x4 grid as in your example:

0, 1, 1, 0
1, 1, 1, 1
1, 1, 1, 1
0, 1, 1, 0

Just consider it a cartesian graph (i.e. shift your indices):

0, 1,|1, 0
1, 1,|1, 1
---------
1, 1,|1, 1
0, 1,|1, 0

Now, for every X and Y, you can find its distance from the origin via the Pythagorean Theorem:

dist = sqrt( X^2 + Y^2 )

If for a coordinate (X,Y), that distance comes out to be < your radius (or <=, your choice), then make it a '1'. Else, make it a '0'.

If you need help with C/C++ semantics as well, just let it be known!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement