• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Realtime reflect of floors

This topic is 4343 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm dealing with the problem about floor reflecting. You know, the reflection of the floor is just like lakes. That is to say, we can render the things on the floor to a surface, and then place that surface upside down. Last, we can paste the surface on the floor. And, it's OK. But how can I do the things all above? Can anyone tell me how to do it? Thanks anyway! In fact, I'm a programmer from a non-English spoken country, so forgive me if I had a poor English.

Advertisement
Are you using OpenGL or DirectX?

if opengl, check out nehe.gamedev.net and you will find tutorials for reflections! :)

I presume you can use the same technique as done in the following article, but without the tex coord movement :)

water rendering

Good luck,

I also have a question regarding floor reflection. If you take a look at the floor reflections in the castle in Resident Evil 4 (GameCube version), you can see that dynamic objects (barrels, enemies) are not reflected, but all the static reflections are perfect. Is there a way to precompute reflection maps or something for floors? This is very view dependent so I don't really so how ..

Regards,
Kenzo

"The environment, as seen over a full 360° sphere around the centre point is now encoded in the map. This step can be precomputed, if the environment is static."

Guoshima, this is straight from the article you pointed at ;)

He's talking about a cubemap, which stores the static environment for one point only, so it doesn't look good on a plane unless the environment is infinitely far away. There's no way that I know of to precompute the reflection for a plane(since it's so view dependant like you said).

looks very interesting indeed .. I'll have to try it one day :)

Regards,
Kenzo

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement