• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toolmaker

MSVC 2003, enforcing /// summary blocks in compiler?

This topic is 4558 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently working on a teamproject in C# in MSVC 2003.NET. One of the major problems is that one of my projectmates doesn't comment his code. This means, that after he delivers his code, it's getting sent back and he has to comment it(Which he does in the end). I heard there was a way in MSVC 2003.NET in .NET projects that you can enforce the use of summary blocks above classes and functions, and that the compiler fails to compile if those blocks are missing or incomplete. However, I can't find this setting. Does anyone have an idea where I can find this? Toolmaker

Advertisement
Visual Studio generates level-4 warnings ("noncritical messages") if you are missing documentation for publicly visible types or members, and you have XML documentation turned on. However, it never treats missing documentation as a compiler error, so you'll need to tell it that you want to treat it as such. I'm not sure of the VS-2003 specific process for treating specific warnings as errors, but it should be in the property pages.

Note that you don't get any errors or warnings if you don't tell it to generate documentation, even if you've done so previously. So if your teammate doesn't have the "Generate XML documentation" checkbox enabled, this is futile.

In Visual C# 2005, the error code is CS1591 and the message text is "Missing XML documentation for publicly visible type or member 'T'". I'd use that as a starting point for your Google searches for seeing how to do it vis-a-vis VS 2003.

hope that helps,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!