• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Multi-client server

This topic is 4255 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello again, it seems such a short time ago that I posted another question... But this question is just keeping me from progressing, so I thought I'd just be rude, and ask here again... Don't go holding it against me! Anyway - the problem. I want to write a server (I have some vague ideas of writing a MUD) and I need to get multiple clients to connect to it. I have used WSAAsyncSelect to make my message function process network messages as well and I made an InitServer function to initialize the server up to listening on a port. However, the following code is the response to te FD_ACCEPT event... Edit: the first connection attempt everything is OK. When I try to connect a second time, the FD_ACCEPT doesn't seem to get fired. It doesn't output "A client is connecting."...
case SM_SOCKETEVENT:
{

int event = WSAGETSELECTEVENT(lParam);
    HWND hOutput = GetDlgItem ( hWnd, TXT_OUTPUT );	

if ( event == FD_ACCEPT ) {

// this function will add messages to a multiline edit control
	UpdateOutput ( hOutput, (char *) " - A client is connecting." );

SOCKADDR_IN * from;
	int fromlen = sizeof ( from );
	SOCKET clientsocket;

// took this method from msdn. Basically it waits until clientsocket
        // becomes a valid socket handle and then continues...
	while ( clientsocket == INVALID_SOCKET) {
	    clientsocket = accept ( serversocket, NULL, NULL );
	}

if ( clientsocket == INVALID_SOCKET ) {

char * tError = (char *) malloc ( 20 * sizeof(char) );
	    sprintf ( tError, "Error: %u", WSAGetLastError() );
	    UpdateOutput ( hOutput, tError );

} else {

UpdateOutput ( hOutput, "[server]: Connection established" );

}				

}

return 0;

break;
}

However, the above code works for only one client. I read about multithreaded servers, but apart from the fact that I'd rather avoid multithreading yet, I can't imagine that multithreading is the only way to get more clients to be able to connect... I also tried making the serversocket listen again after i accepted a connection, but that would just fail... What do I have to do to make it accept multiple clients? [Edited by - rogierpennink on May 29, 2006 9:21:55 AM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Have a look at the BSD Select function (which is also implemented in winsock), it allows you to listen to many sockets(as well as other things) in one thread.

Can you be a bit more specific? I couldn't find anything on msdn by looking for 'BSD Select' or 'BSDSelect'.
Also, isn't it possible to have only one listening socket? I have made a CLIENT struct of which I make a copy each time a client connects, and I fill it with stuff like Socket handle, address etc.

Ideally, it'd look like this:

LISTEN FOR CONNECTIONS ON serversocket
IF AN FD_ACCEPT EVENT OCCURS KEEP USING accept() UNTIL A VALID sockethandle has been created
FILL A CLIENT STRUCT WITH CONNECTION-SPECIFIC INFO + A UNIQUE ID
LISTEN FOR CONNECTIONS ON serversocket
REPEAT

Guest Anonymous Poster
http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/output/html/advanced.html#select

Quote:

Did you try

SOCKADDR_IN client_addr;
int addrlen = sizeof(client_addr);
clientsocket = accept ( serversocket, (SOCKADDR*)&client_addr, &addrlen );

I have seen this be a problem before, so I just thought you should try it.
Not sure if it will help though

Yea, I did try that at first, but it didn't work. I think I should explain a little more about what I want because it may be confusing.

Basically, there's a problem with the listening. After one incoming connection the serversocket apperently stops listening because no more FD_ACCEPT events are fired at later connection attempts... I want to know how to keep the serversocket in that listening state to make sure it keeps firing FD_ACCEPT events on connection attempts..

SOCKET clientsocket;

// took this method from msdn. Basically it waits until clientsocket
// becomes a valid socket handle and then continues...
while ( clientsocket == INVALID_SOCKET) {
}
[/quote]

Just a thought but you may want to initialize clientsocket to INVALID_SOCKET. I am not sure if it actually is initialized to INVALID_SOCKET by default which would make you lucky it even works the first time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement