• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

looking for a developer

This topic is 4254 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have no experience in game design. My programming background is limited to a bad web-design class I took in college. Basically, I'm asking for help. I've constructed an outline for a video game trilogy that would take gaming to a new level. It combines themes and ideas from the past that have been lost or forgotten with some pretty basic, common sense kinds of updates. I have degrees in English and History, and created the basics of the outline for my projest while working at a pop-culture shop, paying my way through school. I've since expanded it with a few friends that have a bit more gaming experience than I have, as well as some graphic design work under their belt. If anyone knows where I can send my outline to be considered for development, let me know. I'd appreciate. I'd be willing to work with the project over the long haul, or even pass it along. I'd mostly be excited about playing it when it is finished, but I would also enjoy the creative process. thanks.

Advertisement
Not gonna happen.
Why would someone work on your idea?

Everyone has their own idea (most people can come up with several ideas they'd like to work on, if they think about it). Unless you're willing to pay them, or you're going to put a lot of effort into developing the project yourself, no one has any reason to drop their own plans in favour of yours.

It may not sound very nice, but it's the harsh reality.

John B

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by featuring_dave
I have no experience in game design. My programming background is limited to a bad web-design class I took in college. Basically, I'm asking for help.
I've constructed an outline for a video game trilogy that would take gaming to a new level. It combines themes and ideas from the past that have been lost or forgotten with some pretty basic, common sense kinds of updates. I have degrees in English and History, and created the basics of the outline for my projest while working at a pop-culture shop, paying my way through school. I've since expanded it with a few friends that have a bit more gaming experience than I have, as well as some graphic design work under their belt.
If anyone knows where I can send my outline to be considered for development, let me know. I'd appreciate. I'd be willing to work with the project over the long haul, or even pass it along. I'd mostly be excited about playing it when it is finished, but I would also enjoy the creative process.
thanks.

First, I think this would be better suited to the Help Wanted section [http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8]. Second, it's unlikely you will find some willing to build your game for you without compensation. I would also advise against making claims like "it's going to take gaming to a new level", such things usually send up red flags for developers; even more so when you admit you're a newbie.

I don't know the specifics of your game, but have you consider something like Game Maker[http://www.gamemaker.nl/]? It only requires learning a pretty easy scripting language (even then there is a lot of automation).

You could also try something like DarkBasic[http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/] which is a version of the basic language built for writing games. The english like syntax makes it fairly easy to pick up, and you wouldn't have to learn API's like DirectX and OpenGL. It would be more involved than Game Maker, but you'd have alot more freedom.

There are places that have game graphics avaliable for free or a price. Which might be helpful in getting your game off the ground.

Good Luck

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement