• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AntonyCoder

DirectPlay Tutorials? (Is the dplay 5 tutorial on gdnet still revelant?)

This topic is 4531 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to learn dplay but I can only find one tutorial and that is the directplay 5 tutorial on gdnet. Are there any others you know of? Or is the interface to dplay9 the same as dplay5?(I'm not sure when it was last updated.)

Advertisement
I think Direct Play itself is a little out dated. If you want to learn it anyway that's cool. But there is no longer a direct play in directx9 and up.

But you can always include the header file of old. ;)

There are other net lib out there, what are you trying to do. And maybe an experienced network programmer can point you in the write direction. (I am not that experienced)

DirectPlay is deprecated these days - its strongly advised that you DONT start any new software with it. By all means maintain older libraries/software if you have to, but look elsewhere for your networking/multiplayer solutions [smile]

The SDK suggests Windows Sockets, but there are a few higher level libraries kicking around. I'd recommend you drop by the Multiplayer and Network Programming forum if you want some advice/discussion on alternatives to DPlay.

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!