Need Free 3D Game Engine

Started by
25 comments, last by swordfish 17 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by D Shankar
A review states that OGRE has no support for .3ds files nor .x files....

Then what is the 3D Studio Max Mesh & Animation Exporter v1.0.7 on the Ogre website (Ogre3D.org -> Downloads -> Tools -> 3D Studio Max Mesh & Animation Exporter v1.0.7).

With Ogre you get support for 3dsMax, Maya, RenderMonkey, Lightware, Milkshape, Softimage XSI... etc. Plus also some plugins for libraries like ODE (for physics). You can easily use an extern libraries for network, input, etc.

Or else, you can use Nebula Device which seems to be really good and is a game engine. Seems harder to setup than Ogre but the documentation seems to be complete (not as complete as ogre though).

The biggest problem I had with CrystalSpace was the lack of documentation. We had a hard time to setup the project and to find all we needed. CrystalSpace was a requirement for the project... Ogre or Nebula would have been my first choices if I had to possibility to choose.

Download the SDKs and try to setup a small project. That will show you quickly if the engine fits you and if its documented properly. Never underestimate the documentation and the community... Ogre has both, nebula lacks some of both, crystalspace used to have pages in the docs filled with pages filled with TODOs (Is it better now? 4-5 months later?).

There are also a lot of other engines around... check the 3D Engine List on devmaster.net, it can be a great help in your research.

JFF
Advertisement
Thanks, everyone.
And to JFF,
I looked at devmaster previously. That's how I found OGRE. I shall do as you suggest and give all of them a try.
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
at a price of $0, even if the engine can internally do everything u need, you're going to need a full-time tool-chain programmer to make content creation/manipulation tools to get your artists work done at the least!
I have not seen anything near what you are asking for. but you could build your own with bits of open source engines and combine them it will be the same but with a heave load
Bring more Pain
Looky here
I use irrlicht
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

again it's more a rendering engine than a game engine, but it's more game-oriented than Ogre
try it out
Also it is worth noting that although the NebulaDevice says it is Mac compatible, in actual fact no-one has ever performed the Mac port.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

You might also take a look at Irrlicht or yake. I know that yake is a 3d engine that builds around OGRE as its renderer.
-----------------------------------Indium Studios, Inc.
Irrlicht and Ogre are both very well documented I've found. The frustration most people have from their documentation I think is that they expect to find a step-by-step tutorial on exactly how to build the type of game they wish to create. You won't find that anywhere.
Quote:Original post by jkleinecke
You might also take a look at Irrlicht or yake. I know that yake is a 3d engine that builds around OGRE as its renderer.

Yake may be as close as you are going to get to your request, it is approaching a full game engine, and it is built around several very good components (Ogre, CEGUI, ODE).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement