Need Free 3D Game Engine

Started by
25 comments, last by swordfish 17 years, 10 months ago
My team [Red Winter Studios] is looking for a free 3D game engine. It should have the power of Torque and Source, but at the price of $0. Generally, I would go with Source, but the targeted audience might not have Half-Life 2. (Keep in mind, this is NOT A MODIFICATION, but a full fledged game.) Any suggestions? I'd rather not have a flame war; just the details. I've looked around hundreds of times for good 3D engines. None are at my price and some just don't have enough functionality. Thanks in advance,
D. "Nex" ShankarRed Winter Studios
Advertisement
Is CrystalSpace good? Reviews I've read indicate it's a nice system.

I basically need C/C++ compatibility with 3DS Max 7 & 8 (.3ds, .x so on), good music/sound capabilities, and average or better physics.

If no one advices me anymore or leads me in any other direction, I shall probably start hiring programmers and start working with Crystal Space.
Ogre3D

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Kinda sounds like you want your cake and eat it too ;) There are some decent free engines out there, but its highly doubtful that you'll find one as powerful as the two you mentioned for free. Unfortunately, you'll probably going to end up having to spend the $100 on the Torque (well worth it, I'd say), or take up one of the free, less endowed engines and plan on putting in some extra sweat equity.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
A review states that OGRE has no support for .3ds files nor .x files....
I've heard good things about Ogre, but (correct me if I'm wrong), isn't is just a rendering engine, not a 'game' engine?
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Yea, thats what I've heard too; and that turns me away from OGRE.

What about:
Torque vs. CrystalSpace

Which is easier to find programmers for?
Which is more difficult to get started with?
$100 - would all the people on the team have to pay the price? ..Or can everyone exchange files to the person who has Torque (aka the Compiler)?
Despite the whole open source thing, you still get what you pay for.

I don't think I've seen any game engines with equivalent power to Torque. If you're developing a game, it may be worth just shelling out some bucks for an engine. If not, you can definitely mix and match a graphics engine with a physics engine with a sound library and so on and so forth.
It looks like Crystal Space is also a rendering engine, not a 'game' engine. The Torque does have a very active community, and there seems to be a fair number 'serious' developers using it. You'd have to check with GarageGames, but as I recall you would technically need one license 'per developer seat'. You'll need to check with them on the details.

One thing that I can tell you is that the Torque really is a full package. It has networking, sound, physics, gui, etc, etc. Worthwhile looking into
Yes, Ogre is a graphics engine, but if you're asking for a full game engine with the power of Torque/Source for free...? I don't think you're going to find much... as far as not loading .x/.3ds files: write a loader. Or just pay the $100 for Torque. :)

[Edited by - JBourrie on May 29, 2006 4:22:13 PM]

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement