• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

GXGraphics performance

This topic is 4282 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, has anybody tried the GXGraphics GAPI wrapper? It's from this msdn example: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetcomp/html/WrapGAPI1.asp So far I haven't gotten more than about 20fps out of my yakumo delta 400, simply clearing and flipping the screen. Playing sounds seems to be extremely costly too, the buffering option of the play method doesn't seem to help... bye, felix

Advertisement
Go ahead and use it.

Just be aware that example implementation has some problems. It assumes certain things about hardware that just aren't true universally. One example is locking the display once for the entire appliction -- Some hardware needs to be locked each frame. It doesn't have good conversion or serialization code. The implementation's over-depenance on interop and marshalling also slow it down a bit.

Also, GAPI support on newer devices, especially 3D-accelerated and WM5 devices, is often worse than the GDI speed. Since GAPI is only QVGA, it also limits your potential for future growth.

In the end you will probably end up with a commercial library or your own complete rewrite of the example code.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Any advice on the sound performance problems?

Are there any other free libraries for .Net CF?

FYI, GAPI is going away and you should migrate to DirectDraw for targeting Windows Mobile 5.0 and beyond.

I used GAPI or raw framebuffer access if available. I havent benchmarked it, but it works fine. I must add that I'm not updating the entire screen in every frame.
Maybe you should have a look at some libs, for example gapidraw or pockethal. I personally dont know much about these...

I tried FMOD and Hekkus for sound output. The former supports a lot more formats, but on simple WAV files I havent noticed any big difference. They both have a simple but useful API, and are free for private use.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement