• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Vertex data for sphere

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm learning how to apply textures to objects, and trying to map a texture onto a sphere using DX. I'm told there are graphics programs that will generate the vertex data, but are there any free ones available? Or maybe a tutorial for applying textures to spheres? Thanks

Advertisement
DirectX has a nice helper function called

D3DXCreateSphere, once this is created you can use the mesh it generates or you can lock and read the vertices out of the vertex buffer.

- Dave

If you search for "Octahedron sphere tessalation" you will be bound to find an article on how to make a sphere (with vertices!). I believe the one I used was from GDNet right here, so you could even look through the articles, or search the site (haha).

As for applying texture coordinates to spheres, there's really nothing to it, assuming you know in which order your vertices go, and you know how you want your texture to be mapped. There are many articles on texturing, so do some digging, ey?

Hope that helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement