Far plane won't go out far enough

Started by
3 comments, last by QuadMV 17 years, 10 months ago
I'm sure there's an easy answer to this, but no matter how far I push my far plane out in my D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH() call, it doesn't seem to go past a certain point (maybe 1000 or so), things seem to clip at about the same distance. My viewport near and far is 0 and 1. My depth stencil format is D3DFMT_D24S8. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Quote:
My viewport near and far is 0 and 1.

Did you try chancing the viewport far to 1000 and viewport near to 1, 0 will result in other issues down the road. Unless you are a tick walking on a wall, you probably don't need it less than 1 for the near, and the far should be the value for the farthest object you want to render. I'm surprised you're seeing anything with the values of 0 and 1, unless you're drawing some pretty small things.

Also, if that was a typo, and your far is 1000, try at least changing near from 0 to 1
3DMUVE is an amateur game development team, and the designer and developer of a new gaming technology “MUVE” for the gaming industry.
Sorry, I shoulda been more clear

My code looks like this:

D3DVIEWPORT9 view_port;
view_port.MinZ = 0;
view_port.MaxZ = 1;

D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&al, 60.f * (3.14f/180.f), 1024.f / 768.f, 1.f, 100000.f);

I'm using vertex/pixel shader btw.
I assume the next line is something like:

pDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_PROJECTION, &al);

Also

If you are using a specialized viewport, which is seems you are, then you're going to override the Perspective Z depth, and clip everything to the viewport. Have you tried changing the viewport? I might be wrong, but I think that is the root of your problems.
3DMUVE is an amateur game development team, and the designer and developer of a new gaming technology “MUVE” for the gaming industry.
I retrack my comment on focusing on the viewport. It looks like that is for the most part 2D. I need to research more, but I don't think it's related to your issue. I guess my only suggestion is to make sure you are calling:

pDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_PROJECTION, &al);

sorry I don't have more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement