SDL & visual c++ 2005 debugger

Started by
0 comments, last by janta 17 years, 10 months ago
I'm trying to use SDL and the visual c++ debugger at the same time, for an opengl fullscreen app. Everything works fine except if there's an access violation, exception, or breakpoint everything just freezes up (because the app has the screen locked or such) and I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to kill the app in order to get back to visual studio. I've tried to use both _putenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib"); and SDL_putenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib"); as it says in the manual but neither helps any. any tips? thanks.
Advertisement
Unfortunately debuging a full screen app is a painful experience, because when you hit a breakpoint, you'd need you app to respond to a alt-tab or such, but it is, by definition of a break point, frozen.

- Can you have a toggle var that you switch to windowed when runnong a debug build, and full screen on release ? this is the most simple thing to do.

- However, If what you want to debug is specific full screen code, you may use remote debuging which is quite simple actually with visual studio, but you will need 2 computers and a network though.

Im not sure this is what you wanted to hear ;)
Good luck

Janta.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement