Detecting DirectX Version?

Started by
0 comments, last by jollyjeffers 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi Folks, I have developed a dx application, now i want to add the functionality for detecting compatible directx version when running on user machine. Also, how can i check for the d3dx dll's i used for my app? If the dll's are not present on the user machine, how can i prompt user for downloading it and provide link? I am using April 2006 sdk, is the dx runtime is only requirement for applications to run or i have to check for dll's like d3dx_30.dll? Please elaborate the procedure? Thanks
Advertisement
The Installing DirectX with DirectSetup article in the SDK should cover what you need to know. The GetDXVer sample should be a useful reference.

Bare in mind that if you're statically linking to D3DX DLL's (that is, not using LoadLibrary() type calls) then your application will crash-and-burn before you can run any detection code.

Best bet is always to ship (and silently install) the appropriate redistributable [smile]

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement