• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Career Prospect Question

This topic is 4254 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm quite new to this videogame industry but it's an industry which I've always dreamt of being involved in. Unfortunately, my parents never accepted the decision of me pursuing a career in this field. Therefore I ended up studying an architecture course instead. But I do not want to dissapoint my parents and I strive to finish my architecture degree course. My real question is this: Can an architecture graduate find a job/career opportunity in the videogame industry? The only limitations I think was probably getting a job as a level designer or something like that. But I don't mind being a level designer, it's definitely a job that I'm up for it. But I would like to know what kind of graphic designing programs that most level designers use. Another question is this: Is it necessary for me to obtain a degree in videogaming of some sort first to get any jobs of this field? This is the one that I worry about the most. I am also capable of composing music games as I had experience in doing sequencing & midi tracking. Though I never had a music degree or diploma as well. Will there be a chance I get to land a job as a music composer in the firm? (I heard most of the composers are freelancers anyway) Your replies will be very very much appreciated. :) -Frus

Advertisement
Oh, just to add some info about myself too. I know a lil bit of programming through Quickbasic & Visual Basic. It's not much, but at least I do know how computer programming works. I've tried my hands on C++ before but it was way too hard for me.

-Frus

Hi,

I am by no means an expert, having only recently joined the industry myself but...

A lot of studios have many different kind of artists. Including Environment Artists, Character Modellers, Vehicle Modellers, Animators etc.

As an architect graduate I would imagine you understand a lot about the composition of buildings and other general mechanical structure. This might be ideal background for an Level Designer or Environment Artist.

Search Google and you will find lots of advice from various sources on entering the games industry.

I think the one key piece of information I can re-iterate is to have some form of portfolio to show next to your CV. You need to be noticed amongst the rest of the crowd. A good way to help your portfolio along is get involved with a community mod.

Hope that helps and good luck!
dhm

Your architecture degree won't help you, but if you have experience with art tools, that might help.

There are many types of jobs associated with making a video game. You have to decide what kind of work you want to do. Each has its own set of requirements. If you are interested in architecture, then you would probably want to work as an artist. In that case, experience with the tools and an impressive demo reel is necessary.

Rather than throw away your degree in architecture, you might consider making games as a hobby. That's what most people on this site do.

My wife is an architect.
Obviously she can draw things in amazing speeds.

It is a fascinating experience to watch an architect making a 3D Modeling just by mainly using a keyboard (10 fingers typing on the console). She draws with AutoCAD then ports her AutoCAD drawings to 3D MAX, and voila..

So I think, being an architect may help you.

But I am not an expert on the issue, nor a game developer, so who knows ? :)

Thanks guys :)
Appreciate all your replies.
And yeah, most architects are trained in AutoCAD and various 3D programs to sketch & present our ideas to the clients. I guess I'll try to look for some Environment Artists, Level Designers & Music Composers through Google but it would be great if I can be recommended to someone whom I can personally speak to. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement