• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

OpenGL across DLLs

This topic is 4281 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have written a wrapper for OpenGL in order to stay API independent. Now I am pretty new to working with dlls, so I wonder if I can simply use the wrapper in the dll code as well or do I have to export the wrapper functions? Does this cause any rendering context problems if I just use the wrapper in the dll? The wrapper functions are encapsulated in a namespace and just call the gl functions .

Advertisement
Hi,

I built something that sounds quite similar.

I have an executable which linked with a graphics engine DLL. The executable then invoked another DLL that contained a graphics demo or game for example.

I had to place the window creation code (incl. OpenGL context creation) in the executable. I think there are ways around this (i.e. so I _could_ have created the window in the DLL) but they are platform specific.

The graphics engine DLL contained a bunch of classes that called OpenGL functions as usual (e.g. Font, Texture, Terrain). I did not have any problems with context. You have to be careful to export your functions/classes correctly from the DLL and import them correctly in the executable and demo/game DLLs.

(I did the last part with preprocessor magic, such that symbols such as GAME_ENGINE_IMPORT or GAME_ENGINE_EXPORT were defined in the project settings to determine if symbols were imported or exported). See MSDN/Google for examples.

Sorry I cannot give you a more concrete example but I do not have my code to hand.

Hope that helps,
dhm

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement