I would like some feedback on the game i just "finished"

Started by
12 comments, last by repoman79 17 years, 10 months ago
Please nothing to harsh...i know it is lacking....but i was wondering if i could get some feedback on this pac-man type clone i have been working on. link
Advertisement
I find it very difficult to manuever right and left through the small holes in the wall. It's not that the holes are too small, but that you leave no error ratio to allow someone to move right or left through them in a specific amount of time. I find myself pressing right or left and the majority of the time it doesn't even try, but pressing it twice fastly works and makes me both run into the wall but turn towards it and stop walking.

I'm sure I'm not stating anything you don't know however. My score was 1900 or something before I managed to place myself into a wall and die.
Mark A. Drake
OnSlaught Games
Mark Drake
Thanks for the quick reply, i will look into the problems you mentioned. And thanks for not trashing it out to bad...i know it's not that great...but i'm new what can i say
Quote:Original post by repoman79
Thanks for the quick reply, i will look into the problems you mentioned. And thanks for not trashing it out to bad...i know it's not that great...but i'm new what can i say

Bleh, completing a project, regardless of how "bad" it is, is commendable. Genius is 90% hard work after all ;P
::FDL::The world will never be the same
thanks. This surely is not the last version of this that i make.
I 'ran' into the same problem: running into the walls and standing still makes the movement feel static, not very fluid.
I liked the more fluid movement of the enemies though, and I haven't encountered anything else that's downright wrong so I'd say it's good for a first version. :)

Some little things though: the player character is running extremely fast at the start, and plays a running animation whenever it's standing still. You may want to tweak that a little.
I'd also change the graphics if I were you. I understand programmers aren't necessarily artists, but good art can make people want to play. :) How about some beach huts, coconut drink bars and surf-planks sticking out of the ground? And perhaps make everything larger, as the characters are pretty small on-screen now.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
The enemies are hard to see against the background color. On your intro screen, you might want to add a hover state to your start button. I didnt know how to start the game until I clicked around as a last resort.
My first impresson is, that the game reacts too slowly on my key-hits - for example i'm hitting the down-key and the player first moves some more steps up before he changes it's direction. Maybe it is possible to 'sync' the 'frame-per-second' with the capabilities of human players (ok, this is maybe a very elaborated explanation for 'it may be too fast').

And - as a wannabe-player I'ld like to see more 'framework': a splash-screen, a menu, which leads me to the game, to the highscore and which just doesn't tell me "game over" at the end. But I'm sure, exactly that is, what you're planning?

So, I find it's "okay" (sorry, this is the best, I can tell you, because I'm as a programmer far away from this first (2nd, 3th?) step, and therefore I'm answering as a 'wannabe-player': bring up something, that is worth to be shown - which is the step that you have for sure done.

However, keep on and spend some more time on finshing THIS game (sorry, my english is to bad, to give you well-sounding buzz-word-advices, so take what you want from my words).

Sebi

P.S. Just for my interest: do your ghost have any 'artifical intelligence'? Some years ago, I've been involved in finding (<
my post was truncated, so I'll finish:

'I've been involved in find' an algorithm and the most interesing I found was: the ghost is 'smelling the fading trace of Pac-Man'. What are you using?
I liked it. As long as you hit the key to turn while the guy is between grid locations and the turn is the next grid he'll hit, you'll make the turn every time. The enemies are predictable enough to be worked with, but not quite controllable. The music, despite being repetitive, is tolerable.

If I was your boss, I'd tell you to make the graphics bigger, since my 15" monitor makes this game look like an ant farm. Otherwise, it's pretty sweet. I'd buy a brand of cereal I don't normally eat if a copy of this game came free in the box.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement