• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lalle

Windows programming books

This topic is 6382 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I''ve decided to learn the win32 API. The problem is it''s so overwhelming. So I was wondering if somebody could give me the name of the most suited win32 book for a (almost) complete newbie. I already know C++. I would like a book that starts with the basics of Windows programming, then moves on to DX basics. Lalle

Advertisement
I use ''Programming Windows'' by Charles Petzold. It''s really good althought no DX-basics included.

May be winapi&DX is too much for one book. I suggest you buy another book for DX.

BTW, that''s my question: can anyone recommend book about DX?

"Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" might be the one for you. In the first few chapters, it gives an overview of basic and advanced Windows programming and then moves onto stuff like GDI, COM and Directx. It even has on CD some online books on Direct3d. It covers Directx 6.1, though, and there''s yet to be a good book and Directx 8. Still, I''m assuming a lot of it still applies to the newer versions-- with a few exceptions. (Microsoft did not update DDraw in Dx8, but the Dx8 SDK does include DDraw 7.0.)

hey i just ordered "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" (Same author as tricks of the gurus book i think). I heard it was really good and it has some great reviews. Check it out at Amazon.com. It also touches up on directX a little too. So it looks like a great book. I just started windows programming and i got really confused for a while.. but a read alot of tutorials and i can now do some basic stuff.

I can''t wait till I go to college. I would prefer the classroom environment to reading pitiful tutorials that only tell you the basics. You can''t make a good game with only knowledge of the basics. You just can''t. Maybe that''s why I come to sites like this so often-- they go beyond the basics. Problem is, I don''t like having to read things off a computer screen. I like physical, paper books. Maybe that''s why I hate the "e-books" idea...

oh yea definately!! Im still in highschool (Freshman) but im taking a Visual Basic class. Ive found that it really helped to fill in all teh gaps that were left whhen i learned the language on my own. But what ive found is that they really dont teach you... the textbook teaches you.. its jsut that theres always soemone there to help you understand. Though that may be important I still think its more worth while to learn from a book at your own pace... and get help from msg boards like this. That way you can go through 3 or 4 books in the same time it would take you to go through one in a class. This is especially true if you are a good thinker and/or usually ahead of the bulk of your class.

I know what you''re saying. Thing is, with me, I need someone to be there to push me to go further. Someone who won''t settle for a C. Sometimes, like when my parents don''t even know the subject I''m learning, I have to be that person. I''m reading "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days: Complete Compiler Edition" (a boxset that includes the book and two CDs) and I''m learning much more from it than I was from "C++ for Dummies". Maybe because I''m not a dummy...

Anyway Lalle asked for some books on Windows programming, and not personal education dosiers, so let''s make some suggestions. I still say that "Tricks of Windows" by André LaMothe is the one he''s looking for. Anyone have something different?

hmm so theres a C++ for dummies too!!!! j/k haha id better look into that. hehe.

id seriously liek to see waht people put up here. Im very new to windows. But what i think defines a good introduction book is one that doesnt throw your ass in the water and hope you can swim (Cause i cant swim!!). A good intro book will feed all the concepts slowly while stil providing all the knowledge needed. A good reference book is the kind that is filled with all teh goodies that tell you how to make that window blow itself up into a million peices or other cool effects I havent read the tricks of windows but it sounds a little too advanced(for me), but the windows game programming for dummies sounds a little, well, ok for stupid people, but still.. isnt that how we all start out?... as dummies? those are the only two books i can think of off the top of my head and both look very promising. im jsut the kinda guy who likes to take things sequentially. build the base then jump off the building, ya know? But alot of people would rather jump off a premmade building. Thats OK but it jsut doesnt work for me. Thats also why i prefer books over tutorials... its just a much better structured learning.

-----------------------------
I''m almost finished my 3D Engine for the TI-83 calculator

get your first taste of Win32 at www.winprog.org.
It''s a fairly small site, but it''s got a pretty good beginners tutorial (complete with several spelling errors)
that way you can jump into the idea of windows programming before you commit to buying a 1500-page book. Those can be daunting, but once you have a basis, I''ve heard that
"Win32 Programming" by Brent E. Rector and Joseph M. Newcomer
does a better job of explaining what''s happening inside than the Petzold book does. I haven''t read either of books, it''s just hearsay

"Be that word our sign in parting, bird or fiend!" I shrieked, upstarting —
"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night''''s Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! — quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!"
Quoth the raven "Nevermore."

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!