[web] It has come time to move up in the world...

Started by
11 comments, last by Krisc 17 years, 8 months ago
My site has grown a bunch since when I first bought the space. Right now I am paying $5 a month for 5gb of space and 100gb of bandwidth along with lots of nice features such as CPanelX, MySQL, FTP, Subdomains, 3 Addon Domains, et cetera. The problem I have run into is I need more space for various things. I have been doing a lot of video hosting for my family as of recently and my father just uploaded over a gig of "stuff" for the family. It wouldn't be too bad except my website (on a whole) is at about 4gigs right now and I want to expand it. I am looking to put all my photos back online (I took them off to get some space back) but I just don't have the room. So I am not looking into different hosts that have at least 10gb of space. Here are some other requirements I am enforcing. At least 3 Addon Domains >=10GB Space >= 100GB Bandwidth MySQL (At least 10 Databases allowed.) PHP4 but would love PHP5 E-Mail Support (At least 5 allowed.) Subdomains (I need lots of these.) Max of $120 a year. So far I have found.... 1and1.com BlueHost Start Logic Dot5 Hosting I am currently using HasWeb.com but it is way too expensive to upgrade to a new plan, which is really unfortunate as I would do it in a heartbeat. Any ideas? I also know RobLoach is looking for hosts along the same lines but with a lot of addon domains. [Edited by - Krisc on May 30, 2006 1:24:44 PM]
Advertisement
From my signature: iPowerWeb is $7,95/mo for 10 Gb space and 250 Gb transfer.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I have heard rumours that iPowerWeb was bad in that they were slow and had poor support. I have no clue if this is true though. The problem with finding a host is... there is no real way to go about finding a good host other than trying them all for yourself. The all say the same thing, that they have the same features... but how can you really be sure... ya know?
I have not had any problems with iPowerWeb about slowness.

Anyway, the best way is to read reviews/ask at webhosting talk. Just type in a hoster's name in the search function of their forum and you'll get a wealth of information.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Assuming you aren't looking to run some very intensive tasks (i.e., a large-scale web forum) DreamHost is a good candidate.

MySQL DBs -- unlimited
PHP4/5 -- both
E-mail accounts -- relatively unlimited
Sub-domains -- unlimited
Domains -- unlimited

The entry plan starts at 20GB of space and 1TB bandwidth, which is perfect for use as data storage. Combined with its other features (SVN, its "acclaimed" suggestion program, shell access, and others) it's one of the best--if not the best--shared hosts that you will come across.
I have recently tried out GoDaddy and 1&1 and my impressions of both hosts have been negative. GoDaddy doesn't give you access to a bunch of MySQL commands including LOCKing tables. 1&1 doesn't give you access to Mod_Rewrite and their MySQL Database manager doesn't really give you much flexibility....
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
I think I am going to try out DreamHost or BlueHost at the beginning of next week since I just got my paycheck. Does anyone use either of these two? Right now, according to the AP, it seems like DreamHost would be the way to go. I could also use an SVN connected to a webserver as I have never given that much thought. (I didn't know it was possible.) I will let everyone know about my experiences afterwards.

I also found out my last statement about my current hosting and I am paying $100 a year for that so it definately has to go out the window. :)
Google for "dreamhost sucks" first. :)

I considered switching to them, but I've more or less changed my mind. They don't seem all that professional, and they restrict the amount of cpu time your site can use, without letting you know.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender

I considered switching to them, but I've more or less changed my mind. They don't seem all that professional, and they restrict the amount of cpu time your site can use, without letting you know.

actually, they arent restricting cpu time anymore, as announced in a newsletter sent out yesterday. that being said.. i switched to dreamhost a few weeks ago and have no complaints, plus they have a better control panel than my last host.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender

Doing such an unfair search on anything will bring up a number of biased claims--especially when it's as popular as DreamHost is.

The problem with such a site as www.dreamhost-sucks.com is that, instead of being a fair judge and presenting both positive and negative opinions, it's a dumping ground for all the bad--mostly presented by clueless persons who have no business in managing a website.

For the hell of it, I glanced (again!) at the reviews on their main page. Only one seems semi-legit: Mathew's claims about delayed overseas payment. Unfortunately for him, it appears that he was violating multiple Google AdSense agreements.

Particularly:
-- Site may not include: Hacking/cracking content
-- Do not create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.

DreamHost withheld the right to suspend his account's activation.

The other issues appear to be about more CPU time violations. People often seem to think that "I can do whatever I want!" when they see a plan offering so much space and bandwidth as DreamHost does. This isn't the case, and it should be obvious.

Running a mainstream forum with such capabilities--and the inherent stresses--as phpBB on a shared server is just plain dumb. Or having a fully-dynamic site that attracts many hits, without consideration--and action--against the consequences. If you want these, be polite to the other users and purchase a dedicated plan.

There was a post about this in DreamHost's weblog a while back:
http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/05/18/the-truth-about-overselling/

The OP said only that he wanted a lot of bandwidth and space, and DreamHost fits this criteria perfectly.

As far as their professionalism goes, I believe that's why so many people faithfully stick by them: while many hosting companies erect a barrier between themselves and the customers, DreamHost has a sort of "respectable" and friendly persona that you might extend to an associate at work. Were they to ever go out of business (unlikely, but let's go for the hypothetical) I would be genuinely sad that they're gone.

Quote:Original post by DEbig3
actually, they arent restricting cpu time anymore, as announced in a newsletter sent out yesterday. that being said.. i switched to dreamhost a few weeks ago and have no complaints, plus they have a better control panel than my last host.

They really haven't changed their policy much at all. They've never exactly *had* a CPU limitation: all cases were flagged and then examined by hand. Now they've come out and said "...as long as your site or scripts aren't causing problems with the server, you are IN THE CLEAR!" Well, that's basically what it was at before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement