Learning C++

Started by
3 comments, last by swiftcoder 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi all, I have two questions. 1) I'm 20 years old, is it to late to learn C++ and get a job in the industry ? 2) I looked at some tutorials and I will start with this one : http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#c++tutorial Id like to join an ongoing online project such as these on the ''Help Wanted'' forum as soon as possible. How far should I be to join one ? Is completing the beginner tutorial enough ? Thanks.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Myotis
1) I'm 20 years old, is it to late to learn C++

No.

Quote: and get a job in the industry ?

Get a degree. Build up a portfolio. Jobs are scarce, applicants are numerous.

Quote:How far should I be to join one ?

Depends on how much guidance the group you're joining is willing and able to give you. You will most likely require knowledge beyond mere C++ programming, depending on the task you get assigned. If you are supposed to code up the game's physics and have never done numerical integration, you're in trouble.

Quote:Is completing the beginner tutorial enough ?

Depends on which tutorial you are referring to, and the scope of the game. It also depends on whether you have actually assimilated what the tutorial was intended to teach.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I'd strongly recommend that you join the C++ Workshop about to start in a couple days. It's here online at GameDev.net, plus it's free. You read a chapter a week, and then do some small excersizes, answer questions. They'll even have projects for you to work on, so you can home your skills good.

Anyways, I've heard of people getting degrees in wild life, and later becoming a lead programmer for server architecture in MMORPGs. So yea, shoot for the stars. They say hard work and determination is what you'll need.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
you could also go to your public library and borrow a primer. Should take all of a week or two to pick up the basics.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Quote:Original post by medevilenemy
you could also go to your public library and borrow a primer. Should take all of a week or two to pick up the basics.

Strongly seconded, I have found that a good book is worth any number of online tutorials.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement