• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Grahf750

OpenGL ease of learning?

This topic is 4525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A friend told me OpenGL was pretty easy to learn and use. I have done a little DirectX and I was wondeirng what makes OpenGL easier to learn or easier to use?

Advertisement
Difficulty of learning is fairly personal. I will say for me and my best programming friend, we find OpenGL way easier to think in for BASIC 3D type stuff than DirectX (and we both had DirectDraw and DirectSound experience). I have no idea if it stays any easier when more complicated stuff arises (probably not - because Direct3D has some nice utility functions), but it did help me learn 3D concepts.

I loved the red book. Buy it.

your friend is in right, opengl is really easy to learn. It has nice and consistent API. Neither it have too mayn toy-abstractions layered over each another.

I have no DirectX eperience, but I found OpenGL pretty easy to start using and understand. Either way, get a good book. They make it soo much easier.

Quite frankly, neither API is really very dificult, although each has its own methodology.

The dificult part (if you don't already have it), is a very solid grounding in 3 dimensional math (Vectors, matrices, quaternions, coordinate systems, etc.).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!