• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RSL

When Will This Game Be Finished?

This topic is 4459 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am working on a text RPG right now. http://www.rslgames.bravehost.com/ If you go to the projects page and click on World Of Legends, then you will find several files. Executables, and source code. It is going to have up to 15 quests, and I only got 4 of them complete right now. It is going to be huge - wait no, massive. But the thing is that I don't know when it is going to be finished, I have absolutely no clue. But I want to finish it before the next school year - I want to finish in either August or before. How long do you think it is going to take to make it?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Having no idea when a project is going to be finished is a sign of bad planning and organization.
Many indie as well as an alarming number of proffesional game projects suffer from, and die because of this.

Sounds like this is a personal project with bascially you doing Everything. Thus I can't answer when it's going to be done, that depends on you.
Either you'll get it done when you want, or you'll lose interest as the project stretches on without clear goals and let it die.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Having no idea when a project is going to be finished is a sign of bad planning and organization.
Many indie as well as an alarming number of proffesional game projects suffer from, and die because of this.

Sounds like this is a personal project with bascially you doing Everything. Thus I can't answer when it's going to be done, that depends on you.
Either you'll get it done when you want, or you'll lose interest as the project stretches on without clear goals and let it die.

Soo true, I have had 4 of my own projects die on me. A Quake 3 Clone, I freaken almost had all the rendering done, model loading, and bsp collision, and parsing of quake3 scripts. A Starcraft Clone, it looked like something with pathfinding, space arcade game cloning which was fully working with scripting (lost due to harddrive crash). I am working on a terrain renderer now, it looks excellent but i don't think it is going anywhere.

IF I EVER DO ANYTHING AGAIN I WILL SET A DEADLINE

Well, I have no idea how long it took you to finish the first four quests.

Here's what I suggest. You already know that you want the project finished by August. And you know how many quests you want to complete and you know how many you completed already. First thing you'd do is to compare the time it took to do 4 quests and compare that to the time until August that you have to complete 11. If it looks like it might be doable, then break up the time until August and assign the amount of time you think each quest will take. Finish one quest at a time (do not work on multiple quests at the same time).

This way you will have some sort of a plan and should be able to tell whether or not you'll be able to finish it by August or before.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!