• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Height of point on a triangle!

This topic is 4284 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, i'm sorry if there are already subjects on this but I'm in a hurry to get this done as the deadline is too close! Anyhow, what i'm trying to do is to find the height of a point on my terrain. I can already get the triangle in which the point lies but here is my problem! I have a triangle defined by 3-dimensional coordinates and a the x & y coordinates for a point.All i need to koww is the height in the Y axis/point of intersection at that point on the triangle. Any help ASAP will b very appreciated. thankyou

Advertisement
Well, it sounds like a homework-ish thing, so I won't give you the straight up answer (forum policy). What I will say is that a plane can be defined by three points. You have three points, the vertices of your triangle. Also, given a plane and a line, it is easy to determine the point at which the two intersect. The line in question would be the one that has x and z fixed, and y variable from -@infin; to +∞.

There are bound to be plenty of sources on the internet that determine a plane from three points, and plenty of sources that determine the point of intersection between a line and a plane, so that should give you something to work with.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement