• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

sort of off subject...but please help

This topic is 4250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a report for my high school on Multiplayer Game Design. I am required to interview at least two individuals who have had some experience in this subject, but I have not yet received responses from anyone and the report is due in two days. If anyone who has ANY experience in Game Design would be kind enough to fill this out and reply, it would be greatly appreciated. Questions: 1.What are some of the most common problems that occur when developing a new game? 2.What is a typical day like in a game studio? Is there a "typical" day? 3.Why did you decide to become a "<Your Job Title Here>"? 4.How long have you been working in the game industry? 5.Are there specific tools you like to use when developing a new game? 6.What part of your job do you find to be the most interesting? 7.If you were able to create one game of your own design, and were not limited by money or your team's decisions, what would it be like, at its most basic components? 8.What systems do you find to be the easiest and or most enjoyable to develop games for? 9.What genres of games do you like best? 10.Do you play multi player games? If so, what are your favorites? 11.If you were in an alternate reality where video games didn't exist, what career do you think you would pursue? 12.What is the first game you played or remember playing? 13.Do you visit websites or read books on game design? If so, what ones would you recommend reading? 14.What game that you have worked on did you enjoy the most or had the biggest affect on you and why? 15.Is there anything else you wish to say to me or the readers of the report? Thank you for taking the time to read this message. Your reply is GREATLY appreciated. ~~~Zerotri~~~

Advertisement
sorry.. I won't be able to help you out, as I am really a graphic designer who likes to make flash games

but I have to say that any class where you talk about multiplayer game development must be pretty cool :)

well, at this point, anything game-related would be good, whether it's programmer, graphic designer, 3d modeller, or even just indie game designer. The class itself has absolutely nothing to do with game design at all, it's just plain old English 9...with a cool teacher...but the project topics are chosen by each student...and for some reason I HAD to chose multiplayer game design...although I SHOULD have chosen computer graphics algorithms or something to that extent...because I REALLY like playing with bezier curves...but i'm getting off subject with that...

thanks for taking the time to reply though, even if it doesn't quite solve my problem, at least it shows that someone cares...although it might have been better if I didn't post this topic in the multiplayer and network 'programming' forum...I gotta think about that through more carefully next time.

thanks again,
~~~Zerotri~~~

Guest Anonymous Poster
1.What are some of the most common problems that occur when developing a new game?

Some common problems might include inadequate design, new untested technology and weak process ( ie happhazard coding, asset management, organiztion etc..)

2.What is a typical day like in a game studio? Is there a "typical" day?

Usually people work toward small goals which are achiveable within a 2-3 week span in teams of 2-3 core developers ( ie programmers / designers ) and say ~5-10 support people (artist, sound people, etc.. those to make assets ). These small goals are usually what you focus on daily. Typcially you would have a informal meeting with your core teammates and determine what tasks and interdepencies you need to resolve. Once the tasks are agreed upon the meetings can be more like overviews and progress reports. From there it's pretty much up to you to achive your tasks, which can be program a routine or sketch and model up a building etc... The individual task itself will depend upon your dispcipline.

3.Why did you decide to become a ""?

Most people I know gone into game programming becuase they have a nack for it and they don't have the tempermant to work in a more traditional programming job. They uusually are more inqusitive and passionate about their work. For me personally it was just a series of happenstance, as I started as an artist and somehow ended up as a programmer ;)

4.How long have you been working in the game industry?

About 7 years.

5.Are there specific tools you like to use when developing a new game?

Over the years i've found making prototypes using a flexible scripting languge with strong bindings to native implementations ( C++, Gfx Libs, etc) is the way too go. The scripting language allows you to quickly build and flesh out the game ideas you want and the bindings frees you from implementing all the native code yourself. Ofcoruse there is still the issue of good ogranizaion and design which usually comes with experience in making games. As for specifics i use Microsoft C++ Visual Studio Developer and various scripting languages like Lua and Ruby.

6.What part of your job do you find to be the most interesting?

The feeling of working on the cutting edge hardware and software. The game industry is very competive and this brings out some of the most innovative processes and technology. The industry isn't static like others, so there is alot of mobility in terms of people, process, and technolgy. Companies are constantly searching and willing to adpot new processes to see what works. That and the chance to work with people of many different discplines, such as artist, designers, sound people and producers.

7.If you were able to create one game of your own design, and were not limited by money or your team's decisions, what would it be like, at its most basic components?

I would design a free massive massive p2p multiplayer game framework/engine and let people build proprietary content for it. It would be secure and people can perform economic transctions safely on it thus promoting a new form of economy and reality. It would be decentralzied so it could grow indefinetly as new memebers join.

8.What systems do you find to be the easiest and or most enjoyable to develop games for?

From my prespecitive there really isn't much difference between the platforms. They each have their own special requirements and ablities but developing for them is fairly simialr. Design, code, test, etc..

9.What genres of games do you like best?

I like first person shooters mostly. Like HalfLife for sinlgeplayer expereince and for multiplayer I'm enjoying Day of Defeat right now.

10.Do you play multi player games? If so, what are your favorites?

Day of Defeat and CounterStrike Source, I'm more into action games than say MMORPGs or space games.

11.If you were in an alternate reality where video games didn't exist, what career do you think you would pursue?

Proably genometrics.

12.What is the first game you played or remember playing?

Proably pacman.

13.Do you visit websites or read books on game design? If so, what ones would you recommend reading?

This site is good GameDev.net and I also visit Gamasutra.com .

14.What game that you have worked on did you enjoy the most or had the biggest affect on you and why?

Well proably the first one I worked on. It was the archtypcial garage game, just the 3 of us in an apartment over the summer. It was released for the PC as Abuse.

15.Is there anything else you wish to say to me or the readers of the report?

Just enjoy what you do, and you'll do what you enjoy ;)

Good Luck!

PS. I'll email you my name I dont give it out on forums.

-ddn

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement