• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] Displaying a Loading Page, when the page is loading

This topic is 4256 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I got an asp.net 1.1 page right now that does a bit of database work, when you go the page it sometimes sits there for 4-5 seconds, which is just nuts. I'm wondering how I could put a loading sign on the screen there, or really anything to look at. btw.. This page doesn't really do a whole* lot of work, but yet it still takes a bit of time to run...should it be like this? is asp.net slow? I always heard the opposite...that it isn't slow..What do you guys think?

Advertisement
Almost every dynamic website is powered by some sort of scripting language. When something is slow, it is not the language's fault. I have found that the bottleneck in slow web applications is usually a poor database design and an even worse method of extracting data from it. (For example, if you are looping through a recordset and doing another query per loop, chances are that is the problem...) Or perhaps you are doing something that you don't fully understand with ASP.NET. For maximum performance, the higher level a language gets, the more important it is to understand what is going on underneath the hood. A seemingly simple one-liner might be 10 times slower than the equivelent in "hand written" code.

(And of course, the performance that I am referring to is when a page is slow under normal loads. Scalability is a different problem.)

If your page is really loading slowly, I would try to fix it. Putting up a "Please Wait" sign is like a bandaid on a broken leg. That said, in some cases a please wait sign is appropriate: performing some computational task that takes a lot of CPU time, searching a large set of data, etc. In those cases, I would load a light ("please wait") page that triggers a background process (there's no sense in tieing up the web server). The page would refresh itself in some manner to check and report on the status.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement