• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jagguy

Math, Animation and Modeling

This topic is 4522 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a maths question to do with games. I haven't done maths/physics for years so forgive my basic questions. q)If I have an object on the screen which moves in a circular direction (eg say something moving in the XY plane only)and I know the equation it moves to, can I use differentiation from school to work thigs out like velocity,acceleration etc q) Can you use a lot of maths and physics from school when doing 3d modelling, does it have a use eg differentiation,anit-differentiation, partial equations etc . I never though I would find a use for this stuff.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by jagguy
I have a maths question to do with games.
I haven't done maths/physics for years so forgive my basic questions.

q)If I have an object on the screen which moves in a circular direction (eg say something moving in the XY plane only)and I know the equation it moves to, can I use differentiation from school to work thigs out like velocity,acceleration etc

That's exactly what a derivative will let you do.
v = dx/dt (and/or dy/dt)
a = dv/dt

Quote:
q) Can you use a lot of maths and physics from school when doing 3d modelling, does it have a use eg differentiation,anit-differentiation, partial equations etc . I never though I would find a use for this stuff.

AFAIK, 3d modelling doesn't have a lot of interaction with calculus. It'd have more to do with linear algebra (which in my experience, didn't get very relevant with regards to graphics and such until first-year math in university)

calculus (derivatives)works out speeds, acceleration etc and from memory it does so in a curved line as well.
I thought this might be used but you says it doesn't.

oh well

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!