• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hanatarou

Confusion with Lesson 9

This topic is 4380 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Argh! I read this... "Now we move the star. The star starts off in the middle of the screen. The first thing we do is spin the scene on the x axis. If we spin 90 degrees, the x axis will no longer run left to right, it will run into and out of the screen. As an example to help clarify. Imagine you were in the center of a room. Now imagine that the left wall had -x written on it, the front wall had -z written on it, the right wall had +x written on it, and the wall behind you had +z written on it. If the room spun 90 degrees to the right, but you did not move, the wall in front of you would no longer say -z it would say -x. All of the walls would have moved. -z would be on the right, +z would be on the left, -x would be in front, and +x would be behind you. Make sense? By rotating the scene, we change the direction of the x and z planes." It seems to me that if you spin anything on the x-axis the y-axis and z-axis will switch around, not the x-axis and z-axis. The room example is a good example of what would happen if the room rotated around the y-axis, not the x-axis. A better example would've been a square ferris wheel, which spins on the x-axis, and has the y-axis and z-axis constantly moving. Am I making sense? Am I wrong? What is it that I'm missing here?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Hanatarou
Am I making sense?

Yes.
Quote:
Am I wrong?

No.
Quote:
What is it that I'm missing here?

Nothing. The explanation given in lesson 9 is incorrect.

Σnigma

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!