• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Using char** as string array in C

This topic is 4347 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm attempting to use char** as an array of strings in C. Basically, I wish to execute something like: char** x = (char**)malloc(4 * sizeof(char*)); I then wish to reference strings by going: x. I'm getting some errors, seeming to do with the malloc usage, and I'm not sure of the correct way of doing this. I know that int* x = (int*)malloc(4 * sizeof(int)); works as expected, so what's the equivalent with char*?

Advertisement
I don't see anything wrong with your malloc and a simple test on my system shows no errors.
Though of course remember that each of the char* pointers in your array needs to be allocated storage if you wish to actually use them.
E.g. x[0] = (char*)malloc(10 * sizeof(char));

- #include <stdlib.h>.
- Don't cast the malloc result; that's an old way of doing things which is not needed any more (and prevents the compiler from complaining about your not including stdlib.h, which you really should do).
- After allocating the array of pointers, you now have a bunch of random pointer values. You have to point them at meaningful places first before you can do meaningful things with them.

- Please, please forget all of that and use C++ and take advantage of std::string. It is much less painful. Better yet, use something friendlier like Python. Life's too short!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement