• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

learning x files

This topic is 4249 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi I am having trouble finding much information on learning x files to load in c++. I have the directx samples and can do a simple load of a static mesh file (and it doesn't look sharp). After this there are animated mesh files, and the learning curve seems to jump to far, eg 300 lines of code for a static mesh to 2000 for an animated mesh file in smaples. what is a logical way to go to learn animated x files froma simple static x file

Advertisement
The samples. The jump in line count for the samples is less to do with LOADING an animated mesh and more to do with ANIMATING said mesh (the animated mesh sample, if I recall correctly, contains code for at least four different ways to animate the mesh).

Googling for "loading animated X file" or similar search terms produce a couple results, such as:
http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/load_x_hierarchy.html
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2079.asp
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2221.asp

I can't vouch for the quality of those links, though, execpt for the last one (which is an interesting if a little incomplete article (with very ugly sample code) about the actual format of the .X file; it isn't really relevant to you but it might be worth reading for more information about the file format itself).

hi

i know 2 of these and I will scale an animated sample down. This hacking a program to a smaller one where it still loads seems a good way to go.
It was very daunting seeing a 300line code jump to 2000 and say there is the next step.
Of course i won't need all the functions in the sample code to just load and move aa animated mesh.

is knowing how the mesh files are loaded line by line that important? Isn't knowing what to do with them once loaded more important. Of course you need to know something of how it is loaded but creating a scenen and making it interact is something you need to think about yourself.

Quote:
Original post by decplum
Advanced animation with DirectX
Jim Adams

this got many bad reviews

My thoughts on this book., June 3, 2004
Reviewer: R. Sherrod "playa_151" (Smyrna, GA United States) - See all my reviews

Advanced Animation with DirectX is not a good book at all. The author did a terrible job on the skinned animation parts and the later parts of the book is just plain bad. The beginning was ok but the code was not right. I tried to implement some of the stuff at the beginning and it didn't work. When I sat down and thought about the problem at hand and how to do it, I got everything working smoothly without using anything that was done is the book (which means the book was a waste of money). Who ever gave this book 5 out of 5 stars must be the author or a friend.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement