• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sansured

Converting .x to .map file

This topic is 4376 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I need to convert .x mesh's to Quake 3 map files.I don't need textures, lights, entities, etc. just need to convert brush datas.Are there any converters or is there anybody who knows how to do this ? Thanks.

Advertisement
There are no conversion tools that I am aware of; you will need to do it manually, which will require a pretty good understand of both file formats.

I don't imagine it will be particularly easy, as the two formats are designed to do entirely different things and the X file format may be missing a lot of the information a Quake 3 map needs (I don't know the format of Q3 maps so I can't be sure), which means you'll be inferring or deriving a lot of stuff.

The effort might not be worth it. Is there a reason you can't build your maps in a Q3 map editor tool? Why do you need to do this?

I want to check collision detections from the bsp file but render the map from the .x file.

Basicly i am trying to make this for collision detection.Because in the .x file map there are too many polygons and it's hard to compute collisions.If i can convert .x file to .map i can decrease the polycount and i can simply make collision detection (because i did it for bsp's already).

Well, you could just create an extra .x file with decreased polygons...

If you do collision detection with Characters or simple objects, maybe a bounding box would be enough

I don't want to check collision detections in .x file because i already did it for bsp map.I just want to use it for collision detection.

I'd say that you are doing things in a really difficult way. Use either x-file or quake map file, but not both of them.

Generally, collision data is much simplified from the original level data so it makes sense to create a game world which contains separate mesh data for defining the collisions.

Perhaps you could write you own program for creating bsp-tree or perhaps octree.

Just trying to say to avoid the quake-map + xfile approach.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!