Converting .x to .map file

Started by
4 comments, last by Demus79 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I need to convert .x mesh's to Quake 3 map files.I don't need textures, lights, entities, etc. just need to convert brush datas.Are there any converters or is there anybody who knows how to do this ? Thanks.
Advertisement
There are no conversion tools that I am aware of; you will need to do it manually, which will require a pretty good understand of both file formats.

I don't imagine it will be particularly easy, as the two formats are designed to do entirely different things and the X file format may be missing a lot of the information a Quake 3 map needs (I don't know the format of Q3 maps so I can't be sure), which means you'll be inferring or deriving a lot of stuff.

The effort might not be worth it. Is there a reason you can't build your maps in a Q3 map editor tool? Why do you need to do this?
I want to check collision detections from the bsp file but render the map from the .x file.

Basicly i am trying to make this for collision detection.Because in the .x file map there are too many polygons and it's hard to compute collisions.If i can convert .x file to .map i can decrease the polycount and i can simply make collision detection (because i did it for bsp's already).
Well, you could just create an extra .x file with decreased polygons...

If you do collision detection with Characters or simple objects, maybe a bounding box would be enough
I don't want to check collision detections in .x file because i already did it for bsp map.I just want to use it for collision detection.

I'd say that you are doing things in a really difficult way. Use either x-file or quake map file, but not both of them.

Generally, collision data is much simplified from the original level data so it makes sense to create a game world which contains separate mesh data for defining the collisions.

Perhaps you could write you own program for creating bsp-tree or perhaps octree.

Just trying to say to avoid the quake-map + xfile approach.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement