• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Comparison of C Sharp and C++ ?

This topic is 4252 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi friends, I wanna a powerful article about Comparison amoung C++ and C sharp. If you know any article about this subject please let me. Thanks,

Advertisement
MS will tell you OMG C# is far better, C++ zealots will tell you that C++ is far superior to C#, none are correct or wrong. The problem is that I don't know any article on the internet which is not biased in a way or the other. From a software architect point of view, C# is really teh cool and the multi-paradigm approach of C++ is very powerfull.

If someone finds a (unbiased) link to share, I'll give cookies (and caek).

Guest Anonymous Poster
Comparing C++ and C# is rather hard since they are both useful for various tasks. Currently it seems that C++ is used alot because of the huge codebase alot of companies have with it and because some people say that "C# is really slow [at executing]". Other people love C# because programming certain things with it is a breeze and extremely quick and say that "C++ is really slow [at programming/creating] apps". It is all a matter of opinion and the use that have/want to do with that particular language. It would be the same if you asked a Ferrari fan and an Aston Martin Fan which they prefered. Each will give you biased opinions as to why they like their car and dislike the other.

Honestly, like the others have said, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Review the features of both languages and figure out which one you like best. Or find easier to work with, or would suit your needs best... etc.

Hows this for 2 views in the same family.

My brother prefers C++ as there is more control over the coding if you wish and he insists that C# is too slow for games. But he does admit that C# would be good to use for prototyping or small internal projects where speed is not of the essence.

I, on the other hand learnt more with C# managed than I did with C++ managed as there simply is not much coding examples around or books explaining how things work.

For someone that wants to learn the ropes and haven't played with C++ much yet then C# may be the way forward. The managed code is somewhat similar between the C# 2005 and C++ 2005 which are both free to download in their express versions.

These free versions could also be the reason why they are being slated as too slow for certain applications. Can someone with the full versions confirm this accusation ?

So, as an overview I can say the following:

Using non managed knowledge C++ 2003 is the best you can do (what my brother uses) whereas managed programming gives you the choice of C# and C++ in 2005 or C++ 2003 (which I use).

I'm trying to persuade him to move up to managed programming but he just wont shift... bah brothers.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
A comparison of C# and D would be more constructive for me.

What i've heard of D is it sounds good but dosen't have enough of a community to get it off the ground. I've also heard the compiler was built from scrath or something and the binaries don't come out very well(bloated in size, don't know about optimization or speed). I'm not sure what compiler it was talking about or if it was all D compilers(there aren't that many becuase of the small community). So right now C# would probably be your best choice between D and C# in most if not all cases(Unless you can't get the .net framework on your desired platform).

As for C# vs. C++ a lot of opinions are biased but if you look through a bunch of biased articles from both sides you should find out a lot of the pros and cons of both langauges.(C# biased sources will be a lot of C# pros and C++ cons and C++ biased source will be the opposite)

Quote:
Original post by Xrystal
These free versions could also be the reason why they are being slated as too slow for certain applications. Can someone with the full versions confirm this accusation ?

The free versions compile the same code as the pay versions. The only difference is the pay versions come with more tools to help you code(MSDN, profiler, more MS libraries, etc.)

Quote by Surg : The free versions compile the same code as the pay versions. The only difference is the pay versions come with more tools to help you code(MSDN, profiler, more MS libraries, etc.)

Ah, thanks .. was wondering whether there was some performance boosting in the full versions.

Why not learn/use both?
Some people prefer C++ for the actual game, then use C# for the tools, as C# goes really well with Windows Forms.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement