• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ishotton

Model Formats

This topic is 4377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, Im doing some research so that I may start creating our engine for final project, and i was curious as to which model format is the easiest to work with. Thanks for your help in advance :).

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by uggibuggi
If your engine uses Directx, the best choice in my opinion is the .x format, wich is supported natively by directx.

If he was using DirectX, he probably wouldn't post in the OpenGL forum.

As to the best model format, that depends a bit on what you want to do. For boned animation on the CPU, Doom3's format (MD5) is nice. For vertex animations, MD3 is a possibility (as is probably MD2).

I used Cal3D: http://cal3d.sourceforge.net/

It is really easy to use and powerful (it's currently not updated anymore, but I never had any problems with it). Works with OGL and DX and has already exporters for all big model programs. Download the cally demo and test it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!