GBA: Displaying a Database on the GBA

Started by
5 comments, last by Kjata1013 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I need some veteran experience. Here is what I am trying to do, the company I work for is a paint company, and we are looking for a low cost, PC alternative to display our color formulas. Optimally, we would like the GBA to display text that the user can select the color name and then select the appropriate product line and a formula would appear on the screen. Right now, we are interested in proof – of – concept. We have had *minor* success using Visual HAM in conjunction with Borland C++. However, when compiling, Visual HAM chokes if we input more than 200 records. We found the Catapult utility by Nocturne, and that chokes after 2500 records. Our smallest database holds approx. 7200 records. I need to know if anyone out there believes that the GBA can do what we need it to do, and offer any can of suggestions, be it a compiler or simply stating that we are out of our tiny minds and that the GBA cannot support this. Any help offered is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Kathy
Advertisement
What does each record consist of, and how random is that data? It sounds more of a logistics problem than a fact that the GBA can't handle it.
You can do this, however you'll end up having to write your own routines for doing it, likely requiring a banking system to overcome the limited amount of system memory. Have you considered other low cost systems? For example a Palm (which has a lot of development tools specifically targeted at databases and record handling). A current Palm like the Zire retails for $99 (you can get it for less, especially if you buy in bulk) and there are plenty of less powerful Palm/Palm licenced units that are sold for almost exactly the purpose you want: mainly to the medical community as cheap handheld databases. You might also consider who this is going to: I would presume these units are going to the mixing departments in the stores - a GBA is a very tempting target for a minimum wage 16-24 old employee.

Also, do you need to integrate with a label printer? All the paint systems I've worked with use one to print a copy of the formula and the paint name to be affixed to the can (well ok, I've only worked with two, ICI's Windows PC based solution, and another companies custom hardware solution). While the Zire can't do it, a lot of the older/licenced Palms (aka the Palm III look a likes) all have serial connectors on the bottom.
Some people on this forum have been using these awesome looking things:
GP2x console that runs linux. It's capable of running emulators and all sorts of linux applications.

Being Linux it's also open and loads of resources around on how to program the thing. No special cartridges or anything, just a usb cable to connect to computer and SD slot for RAM. Runs off AA batteries.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by rick_appleton
What does each record consist of, and how random is that data? It sounds more of a logistics problem than a fact that the GBA can't handle it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Each record consists of the color name, color number,productline, colorants (ie, one column for red, one for blue, one for yellow,and so on about 9 total), and then can size(quart, gallon, 5 gallons). It is ordered by color name. I pretty confident that the gameboy wouldn't have much of a problem, it is the compilers that are having problems. I've tried googling to see if there is a way to allocate more virtual memory to the compiler, but I haven't had much luck.

Thanks,
Kathy
Quote:Original post by Michalson
You can do this, however you'll end up having to write your own routines for doing it, likely requiring a banking system to overcome the limited amount of system memory. Have you considered other low cost systems?
For example a Palm (which has a lot of development tools specifically targeted at databases and record handling). A current Palm like the Zire retails for $99 (you can get it for less, especially if you buy in bulk) and there are plenty of less powerful Palm/Palm licenced units that are sold for almost exactly the purpose you want: mainly to the medical community as cheap handheld databases. You might also consider who this is going to: I would presume these units are going to the mixing departments in the stores - a GBA is a very tempting target for a minimum wage 16-24 old employee.
--------------> Yes, we have tested the Palm OS (not sure of the model,I think it may be the Zire). I should have been more specfic. We are trying to offer a variety of options. We are trying to have a price point that is under $100. The $80 price point of the GBA was pretty tempting for us. Then we would have a $100 - $200 price point. We also realize that there is temptation to play games on the unit. These are independent dealers, not something that we manage that closely. As long as they cannot tamper with our data, it is up to that dealer to mangage their employees.

Also, do you need to integrate with a label printer? All the paint systems I've worked with use one to print a copy of the formula and the paint name to be affixed to the can (well ok, I've only worked with two, ICI's Windows PC based solution, and another companies custom hardware solution). While the Zire can't do it, a lot of the older/licenced Palms (aka the Palm III look a likes) all have serial connectors on the bottom.

--------------------> A printer is not neccessary. The units that we are trying to replace with the PDA and GBA, did not have that functionality. Being portable, they can have the PDA or GBA in front of them as they use the manual tinter.

Right now, we are concerned with proof - of - concept, that we are able to provide a solution. Printing is something that can be an upgrade or an extra feature, but not needed right now.

Thanks for replying so quickly. I am really greatful that you took the time.

Kathy

Quote:Original post by paulecoyote
Some people on this forum have been using these awesome looking things:
GP2x console that runs linux. It's capable of running emulators and all sorts of linux applications.

Being Linux it's also open and loads of resources around on how to program the thing. No special cartridges or anything, just a usb cable to connect to computer and SD slot for RAM. Runs off AA batteries.

Hi, Thanks for the link. I'll see what I can do with it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement