• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How does Power Render Compare?

This topic is 6295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, How does PR compare to other 3D Engines such as the LithTech Engine? I have the LithTech SDK but I am interested in PR due to it''s lower costs. I took a look at the Demo but with a 1000 poly limit there is little I can try out, as far as the terrain module or many other features that would generate more than 1000 polys. With the LithTech SDK I can create a complete Demo but the commercial license is very high. So before I invest $300.00 into an engine I would very much like to know what others think of it and how stable it is and how well it stacks up to other 3D engines. Thank you, PigHeaded

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve been using PR for about a half a year now and I must say that it is pretty good. The new PR4beta1 is very stable and has basically no limits except for its inane and over-complicated collision detection system. If you think you have the patience to wade through the example code (there really is no documentation on collision), or write your own (which I had to do because figuring out PR''s collision methods were slowing my project down to a halt) then PR is for you. *Other* than the collision detection, PowerRender really shines with its stable evironment and ease of use. Just plan on finding other ways to do collision.
-Rich

Docs are about the same as the other 3d engines. In other words, sparse, sometimes incorrect, and outdated. You''ll spend a lot of time compiling and recompiling to figure out how the functions work or why they didn''t work when you followed the docs correctly. I''m not complaining though because all 3d APIs except Direct3D are like that and PR is no worse than the rest and better than some.

I don''t like that it is written in C and that it accesses undocumented global variables from its libraries. For example, direct input (3 I think) whether you want it or not, where I have a better version using DX8 with force feedback.

PR runs well and has the best graphics out of all of the engines I''ve seen for the amount of time you have to put in. Panard vision can do far more but is also more complicated and the docs are missing half the information you need to perform even the simplest tasks. PR is better in that regard, but you still have to perform a lot of grunt work to do things that should have been encapsulated to begin with.

PR has an OK utility set. You can get the job done which is more than I can say for Morfit but less than a robust full featured application builder like what comes with Wild Tangent.

PR does not force a hugely complicated infrastructure on you the way Auran Jet does. Auran Jet (C++) is better designed and written but nearly undocumented, might be worth a look when it is released. PR is better for a pure engine that does not limit you aside from the C code and globals. Auran Jet is better for an application as a whole, assuming they document it since it''s not usable right now.

PR is good about importing files from 3d studio max. It''s relatively easy and it works correctly. The file format it uses is proprietary but you can convert without problems.

PR has an excellent terrain generator. It blends textures, wraps the world, and it looks great. The best I''ve seen for outdoor textures. On the other hand you can''t build terrain by hand given the available documentation, which you CAN do in Panard Vision and Morfit. In a manner of speaking you can''t in Panard Vision either, unless you are willing to endure great pain recompiling 1000 times to figure out how to get textures to appear on faces correctly (undocumented).

If you don''t mind waiting, I''d wait for the full release of Auran Jet because you can get things done with the least pain and it looks great. But who knows when that will be. For the immediate present, I''d say go with either Power Render or Panard Vision. The former is powerful with moderate pain while the latter is extremely powerful with tremendous pain but you can make Unreal Tournament quality graphics.

BTW by pain I mean the coefficient of wasted time, a scale I invented to describe the quality of documentation.
Given a task that takes unit time with perfect documentation:
Actual time to complete = Coefficient of Wasted time * Unit Time.

Panard Vision = 10
Power Render = 5
Direct3D = 3
Borland C (Benchmark) = 1

Guest Anonymous Poster
KevinJ,

Thank you for the very detailed evaluation. I appreciate that you took the time to provide such a long response.

I have looked at Auran Jet3D. I have not looked at Panard Vision. I will take a look at it.

Thank you,

PigHeaded

My pleasure. I''ve spent the last three weeks in virtual hell trying out every 3d engine on the market. While I''ve learned a lot, I''m not a whit closer to finishing my game

Are you PigHeader from Ice Catalyst ? If so hows it going ? I can''t acess the site or the forums ? I had looked at the forums one or two times a while back but now, yesterday I wanted to drop by and say hello but I can''t find anything.

WHO DO THEY
THINK THEY''RE
FOOLING : YOU ?

GARAL website

Hello Bleakcabal,

Yes I am the same one.

The new link is http://www.mitosis.com/sections/board/

I took a look at your Game Dev site today. It''s really starting to grow.

PigHeaded

If you mean www.gamedeveloper.net it''s not my site, still Im forum moderator and leader of the community project and I have sent about a fourth of the code snippets and... you get the idea. I like the site very much. If your talking about my Garal Site there''s a lot of thing missing on this has I don''t update it that often.

WHO DO THEY
THINK THEY''RE
FOOLING : YOU ?

GARAL website

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!